Web Hosting Advice/Legal rights

Hey Bob,
I don't know if this falls under your area of expertise, but I was looking for some advice on a website I hope to make. Basically, I want to make a website for a web comic series I am making. Issues would be made available for the public to download with a "name your price" feature. My question is this: If I use a web host, would I retain rights as the creator of the series and distributive rights? Should I just buy my own domain? Thanks!

The ownership rights are yours whether you own the domain or not, however in practice,
owning the domain yourself is a good idea as you have more control over the content.

In the latter case, make sure the domain is actually registered to you and not to the
hosting service - I actually prefer to keep domain registration and web hosting with
two separate and independent companies.

I would also advice having a disclaimer stating exactly what the user and your rights
regarding the material, and possibly a 'user agreement'.

For more hosting advice, visit:-

Web Hosting Advice

Bob Marlow

Registeringm hosting, ftp, weblog checking, security, ssh.

Have set up and ran my own websites for several years.

International Journal of Computers and Fluids.

BA in mathematics

Headingley Signs