Wedding Planning/Destination wedding

I'm invited to my nephew's wedding in Key West, FL.  I live in Syracuse, NY. Airfare & hotel for two is costing me $1700, plus a $200 gift. I was disappointed to find out I'm not invited to the rehearsal dinner. Wouldn't that be appropriate after the time & money I've invested? I'm not a "distant" relative. What's your opinion?

Hi. Congratulations!  Rehearsal dinners are traditionally for the wedding participants and their spouses/significant others.  Many couples are choosing to scale down the rehearsal dinners for a number of reasons; expense is one, of course. Another reason is that for destination weddings, very often the guest list of out of towners is almost as big as the wedding, and a huge event before the wedding steals the thunder of the wedding.

Several of my couples have done formal rehearsal dinners and then invited everyone in town to meet at a club or casual restaurant for drinks and snacks (not hosted; everyone pays for themselves).  It's a way for everyone to get together and relax without the groom's family (or the couple, depending on how they are splitting up the costs) incurring a giant bill.   Almost every wedding, no matter where it is held, is a destination wedding for at least some of the participants

Hope this helps!  Have a wonderful time!

Wedding Planning

Celia Milton

I can answer questions about wedding etiquette, wedding ceremony ideas, reception ideas, sticky situations....really, anything wedding. I cannot give specific legal advice, but I can connect couples with the correct information about state licensing.

After running a successful, upscale catering business for over 15 years, I went to seminary and then Celebrant USA to train as a wedding officiant and become ordained. I have personally officiated at over 700 weddings, and I now head a group of six other officiants. We have written and performed weddings and civil unions for mixed couples, non religious couples, and everyone in between. I am well versed in ethnic and cultural rituals, as well as creating new rituals for my couples that desire them.

American Association of Wedding Officiants New Jersey Wedding and Event Professionals

William Paterson University, BA, Philosophy, 2000 Union Theological in the City of New York, Masters of Divinity, 2003 Drew University at Madison, attended, 2002 Fordham University, Bronx, NY attended, 2003-2004 Celebrant USA, 2005-2006. Graduated in three disciplines

145 5 star reviews at Featured on TLC's "Four Weddings", Fox 5's "Good Day Street Talk", in "Contemporary Bride", "NJ Bride",and "201 Magazine" and "Four" "Wedding Wire Brides' Choice 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012", and "Best of the Knot 2011, 2012". Profiled on Sage Wedding Pros, Natalie Bradley's "Bride Attraction" and Small Business and So You're