Wedding Planning/Sons wedding

Question
My son is in the navy and is stationed in va. I am his mom and have tons of family and friends that would love to do a shower or something for him but we all live in Georgia. He is getting married in va., where his fiancÚ and her family live. Because of his service and her commitment to school it will be very difficult/almost impossible for them to travel back to Georgia before the wedding. Do you have any suggestions or can you tell me what the etiquette is for such a situation. I would hate for them to miss out on the generosity of my family and or friends but I am at a loss for how to handle this. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated! Looking forward to hearing from you....thanks so much. Brenda

Answer
Hello Brenda,
  First, many thanks for your son's service to our country, and the courage of his family to support him through both pride and anxiousness.   I think it's really lovely for you and your friends to want to have a shower for them.

If your friends are going to be invited to the wedding, they can use that as an opportunity to gift the couple, of course.   If they send announcements after the wedding, (or invitations which may be declined), for the faraway family and friends, that can also be a reason to send them a gift.

If neither feels right, recruit a ringleader (it should not be you) to maybe collect from everyone to chip in for a giftcard to a local (to them) restaurant or store that would be useful to them.  When you have photos back, host them all to a little cocktail party or tea and let them share in the joy!

Wedding Planning

Celia Milton