Wedding Planning/Wedding Planning

Question
Hi Celia,

I would appreciate your advice on my problem, and thank you for taking the time to help me! I am starting my own wedding planning business. I am currently working on pricing my services, and I am wanting to use a package rate. For my full coordination package, I want the pricing to be dependent on the number of guests. Do I base the number of guests off the number of people the couple intends to invite, or the number of guests I calculate should actually attend? I'm a little confused as to how other wedding planners with package rates based on guest count use this method!

Thank you!

Answer
Good luck!  Honestly, I don't  think it's wise to price based on a guest count. In many cases, you'll do just as much work for a small wedding as a big one, and since invites are always more than rsvps, it adds confusion to the mix too.  The couple won't know what your pricing is before the final RSVP, and personally, I wouldn't buy a service that I couldn't accurately  budget for ahead of time.

Certain tasks will take just as much time for 50 guests as they will for 200. For day of coordination, yes, you'll need more assistants for 200 than for 50, but the planning isn't that different.

Planners around me base their fees on how much overall work they are doing; is it just week of?  Is it total sourcing with vendor meetings and supervision?  Most planners have two or three levels of service that include different amounts of help.  Don't make it too complicated for your couples; they are already overwhelmed.

I'd gook at a good cross section of planners both in your area and out, look at what their packages include, figure out realistically how  much time it would take to accomplish  each packages' tasks and how much per hour you need to make.  The biggest mistake most new planners make is giving too much time and input for too little dollars.  You are not their girlfriend, chatting about her/his wedding; you're a paid listener who is on a clock.

Good luck,
Celia  

Wedding Planning

Celia Milton