Wedding Planning/REmarriage

Question
My neighbors are getting remarried - remarried to each other after they were divorced and seperated for a couple years.  Her sister and I are throwing a surprise reception celebration for them.  When it comes to the traditional things that typically occur what is etiquette??  They were married at court house and obviously this will be casual dress and a surprise no wedding party and ceremony before hand.....The reception will have music food and soda and tea coffee bar.  Should we do specifics dances or anything traditional at the reception or what would you suggest???
toast, dance, etc?

Answer
Hi!  How tremendous for them, and how lucky they are to have such considerate friends!   I think you let the event evolve organically; toasts, for sure; maybe a dance if they feel so inclined, but I'd plan just the skeleton and see what happens!  If it's truly a surprise, that will catch them off guard (happily!) and having too much going on may feel awkward rather than celebratory. Etiquette, in its purest form, is meant to make everyone feel comfortable, and I think a lovely afternoon party with some spontaneous toasts and maybe a dance (if they'd like) fits the bill perfectly.

You're planning a wonderful gift to them!

Wedding Planning

Celia Milton