You are here:

Weddings/Wedding invitations


My father is a Reverend and my mother is a Doctor, Ph.D., and they are married to each other, same last name.  How do I write their names showing their titles on my wedding invitations?

Hi Becky,

If your mother is an academic Ph.D. then the proper way to write your invitation would be:

Reverend and Mrs. David Smith

This is because the Ph.D, Dr. title is used only in academic situations.

If she is a medical doctor with a Ph.D. actually the same would apply for a social event.  However, if you wanted to use the doctor, this is what I'd suggest:

Reverend David and Doctor Amanda Smith

Hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of any further assistance.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Weddings Etc LLC


Wedding traditions, fashions, ceremonies, wedding planning, coordination, customs, how to handle situations that arise, responsibilities, budget planning.


I''ve been a wedding coordinator for 16 years. I authored a WEDDING PLANNING GUIDE, a Bride''s Workbook, that is available in local bridal shops. Tattered Cover Bookstores in Denver, CO as well as local Borders Books and through my website. I''ve worked with weddings from just 2 people to 350 guests and all budget ranges.   I've also written and teach The Art of Wedding Coordination to those who want to become wedding coordinators.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]