Weddings/Suggestions

Question
My husband and I were recently married at the justice of the peace. We are also expecting in July. We have both been divorced and this was the second marriage for both of us. I have two kids from my previous marriage and he has none, so this makes our third child. Both of our kids are older (3&6) so I have NO baby stuff at all. My sister decided to throw me a shower because #1 I donít have any baby stuff and #2 this is my husbands first child. We wanted to do something non traditional so that my husband could attend and he would be able to celebrate too. We tossed around the idea of a unisex shower and both of our brother in laws squawked about it. So, we decided to just turn it into a celebration. It will be a combo wedding reception/baby shower. That way our elderly out of town relatives donít have to travel more than once and we do t have to fund two big events (obviously we have a big family and are on a budget). Also, seeing as this isnít first time around for weddings/showers. My question is how to word the invitation. We donít expect gifts for our wedding, we have what we need but baby gifts are greatly appreciated. We want that to be fairly obvious. Any suggestions?

Answer
Dear Angela,
I apologize for not getting back to you yesterday - I was at 2 weddings.

I would write the invite as follows

Come help us celebrate our new life together as man and wife.
We will be joined in marriage at ______________(location)
     on ________(date)
     at ________ (time)

We will be welcoming a new baby into our family on ______________.
We want you all to share in our joy of parenthood.
Celebrate with us.

A celebration reception shower will follow at _____________(time_)
_______________(place)
         (Bride and Groom request no wedding gifts)

(This leaves it open for baby gifts without being too obvious)

Hope this helps
STAN WIEST
Member Association of Bridal Consultants

Weddings

Stan Wiest