Weddings/Invitation wording

I am a bride to be and am having trouble figuring out how to word my wedding invitations. My parents were divorced when I was nine.  My father passed away when I was 18. My mother is remarried when I was 20. My groom's parents are still married. Both sets of parents are paying for the wedding. How do I word the invitation?

I do not want it to sound too redundant but I do want it to make sense. Of course my family is aware of the situation, but I do not want his family to be totally confused. Please help!

Thank you,

Invitation wording presents a challenge for many couples.  You are not alone in your situation!

The easiest solution is to simply word it as "The parents of Bride Middle LastName and Groom Middle Last Name" but that may not always work. Another easy out option is your names followed by "along with their parents...." If your wedding is formal you certainly want the parents names on the invitation.

Protocol says that a deceased parent's name should never be on an invitation for the obvious reason that a non-living person can not invite someone to attend an event.  Sentiment may say otherwise.  I've seen invitations go out that say the Late Parent Name.  However, you can honor your father by including his name in the program.

To use names of all living relatives, try:

Mr. and Mrs. Stepfather and Bridesmother Lastname
Mr. and Mrs. Groomsfather and Groomsmother Lastname
request the honour of your presence (this part can have many other options as well)
at the marriage of their children

Bride Middle Lastname (assuming your last name is not the same as your remarried mother's name.)
Groom Middle Lastname

If you decide to include your deceased father's name on the invitation it would go after your mother and stepfather, on a separate line and before the groom's parents' names.

You can always put your names first on the wording and then follow that with
the children of
along with their parents
and then include the names.

Some of your options will also be dictated by your specific invitation as the placement for the couple's name may be required to fall in a certain place.

Your invitation dealer or wedding planner should be able to provide further guidance.

Hope this was helpful!  Do bear in mind that while you will read many rules of protocol, ultimately, there are no wedding police and as long you, the groom, and your parents are happy as well as the guests have clear information, it is all going to be fine.  Luckily, the marriage is legal (when performed by the requirements of your state's laws) regardless of how any invitation is worded!

Good luck!

Ronni Johnston

I can easily answer any questions related to wedding planning, bridal consulting, wedding officiating including ceremony and vows ideas. I have a strong suit in discussing decorating, logistics and theme weddings. Discussing the issues of budget, maximizing the value of the budget and avoiding unnecessary expenses is a common subject. As a bridal consultant issues involving family issues and social expectations fall into my epertise as well. I can answer many questions involving wedding vendors but would be limited to the 'end user' side of technical services such as wedding photography, videography and various forms of digital services, like the specifics of setting up a slideshow. I understand and can answer questions involving when it should be used, who we should hire to do it, but the set up and which equipment to best use I would be referring to a vendor.

I have owned and operated my own Bridal Consultant company, Perfect Touch Custom Weddings since 2004. I have worked, and continue to work as a wedding officiant for over 17 years. I am an Accredited Bridal Consultant and Certified Wedding and Event Planner. I teach a wedding and event planning class at the local community college through Lovegevity's Wedding Planning Institute. I am the director the the Association of Bridal Consultants Local Networking Group - Wichita. Outside the wedding industry, my event planning experience is extensive including planning 3 yearly educational conferences in a multi-state union, album/cd release parties, concerts, renaissance fair in a private setting, trade shows, wakes, funerals,memorial service, retirement parties, high impact birthdays and much more.

Association of Bridal Consultants, current status Accredited Bridal Consultant.

The KS/Mo current edition of the Knot Winter Issue of WedPlan KS

In this industry, my educational credits are the designation and training for Accredited Bridal Consultant with the Association of Bridal Consultants. I also have the designation of Certified Wedding and Event Planner.

We do about25 to 50 weddings per year as either full service or day of only. We perform well in excess of 100 wedding per year as officiants. My clients have ranged from elaborate weddings with budgets in excess of 100K and 8 hour receptions to simpler affairs with tight budgets - sometimes even the cake and punch variety. We've had clients with unique themes and clients who ask for most or all of their wedding planning to take place in very short periods of time. Our typical wedding is 175-200 guests, a budgget in the 30K-50 range. This past year, there have been smaller weddings with guests of 100-150, budgets in the 15-25K range. The largest wedding guest count we've handled was just over 600. We've handled several wedding with more than 200 and 300 guests. "We" means my company where sometimes my partner has to handle the day of details because I have one of my own but I have been responsible for all planning and supervise all details for each wedding.