Weddings/How to state father of the bride on wedding invitation

QUESTION: Our father retired as a sergeant in the  Army three years ago, was an Iraq war veteran and was killed in an accident last year. Our mother and step father are still alive. How should she state our parents name on her wedding invitation?

ANSWER: Dear John,
I need to know the following information in order to properly answer your question.

1) Is the mother of the bride hosting the wedding?
2) Is the bride and groom hosting the wedding.

Once you send me the above information I an answer your question

(631) 754-0594

QUESTION: Our mother and step father are hosting (paying for it, if that's what  mean).
We just feel that our father should be mentioned on it somewhere.
Thank you sir.

There are two ways this can be done with your wishes in mind. I am enclosing two invitation examples.

I am using make believe names for the parents and bride and groom as a template to use

Invitation 1

Mr & Mrs John Jones
Request The Pleasure of Your Company
at the Marriage of their daughter
  Mary K. Smith
  Steven M. Brown
Saturday, the Eleventh of October
Two Thousand and Fourteen
Four O'Clock in the Afternoon
at The Vineyard
   42 Hampton Road
   Johnson, New York
Reception to follow

Mary K Smith wishes to remember with love
her late father Barry E.Smith

Invitation 2
Mr & Mrs John Jones
Request the Pleasure of Your Company
at the Marriage of
Mary K Smith
Steven M Brown

Saturday, the Eleventh of October
(then continues using everything as above)

This give the bride the option of how to be announced in the invitation.In either case
in the bottom of the invitation it should state

Mary K. Smith wishes to remember with love her late father
Barry E Smith

I hope this helps you and gives you options. I spent quite a bit of time today thinking
about this. I wanted the bride to be able to honor her father in the invitation and give her options of how she is listed. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.
Member Association of Bridal Consultants  

Stan Wiest

My new piano CD "MUSIC TO DRIVE BY" features my personal and emotional arrangements of music of the Great American Songbook. As president of A.Stan Wiest Music and Perfect Altar Ring Wedding Coordinator Consultant I can help brides with any questions concerning wedding music from ceremony music, cocktail hour, one man band, strings to reception music as well as full planning services. I can provide suggestsion for wedding ceremony music, first dances, father daughter dances, mother son dances as well as eliminate any stress in the selection process.I can help with suggestions from string quartets, strolling violins, Steel Drums Band, Mariachi Band, bagpipes, bands, harp, orchestras, DJ MC , Band DJ combinations, Wedding Ceremony Singers,pianists, keyboardists,classical music and their repertoire. Ideas on creating a wedding unique to each bride's needs and wishes as well as solving any problems causing distress or concern. All ethnic music from Greek Bouzouki, Salsa, Latin, Irish , Italian, Persian, Arabic, Israeli,Middle Eastern, Belly Dancer, German Octoberfest,Flamenco Guitar,Jazz,Big Band Swing,Dixieland Banjo,Sitar Tabla. Specialty performers Country Western Bands,Line Dance Caller,Square Dance Caller,magicians, clowns for the children, puppet shows etc.My policy is to eliminate the stress and worry and to help you, guide you and work with you to enable you to fulfill your dreams of a care free magical wedding with a packed dance floor. I can help with specific suggestions of what works and what does not work musically as well as the proper announcements, ceremonies etc.

Featured in BRIDAL GUIDE MAGAZINE November-December 2007 issue selecting wedding music,BRIDAL GUIDE MAGAZINE January-February 2008 issue budeting a band or dj, NEW YORK MAGAZINE Spring 2005 Wedding Issue-interviewed on "Trouble Shooting The Most Common Issues In Planning Wedding Music".Provided the music for the weddings of the editors or RED BOOK MAGAZINE, BRIDAL GUIDE MAGAZINE and COSMOPOLITAN MAGAZINE. I am a member of the Association of Bridal Consultants since 1995 and President of A.Stan Wiest Music. I lead the first band from my office and I personally play for 4 to 6 weddings a week. My office provides the music for 20 to 35 weddings each weekend. My website is I give seminars teaching consultants how to customize music for weddings to represent the personality of the bride and groom,how to make weddings magical, how to spot and avoid problems and how to eliminate stress for a bride.I provided the music for the weddings of the editors of Red Book, Cosmopolitan and Bridal Guide Magazines,the Du Pont wedding as well as receptions for Barbara Walters and Sally Jessy Raphael, Tony Randal.Organizations belong Member National Association of Bridal Consultants.Publications Stan Wiest is featured in Bridal Guide Magazine cover article "The 75 Best Reception Ideas Ever",Premier Bride Magazine, Weddings Of Distinction , Dialogue Magazine -magazine of Association of Bridal Consultants,Also featured in New York Times,Wall Street Journal.Recommended by New York Magazine yearly. My office is recommended for wedding music in the book "The Perfect Wedding Reception" by Maria McBride Mellinger -an editor at Bride's Magazine.Featured interviews on WCBS NEWS RADIO 880 AM, Recommended by Joan Hamburg WOR AM Radio Personality in her book "CITY WEDDINGS"

Association Of Bridal Consultants

New Piano CD "MUSIC TO DRIVE BY" featuring my interpretations of the Great American Songbook.

Full Piano Scholarship Hofstra University MS CW POST LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY

Interviews in New York Times,Bridal Guide Magazine,Cosmopolitan Magazine, Redbook Magazine, New York Daily News,Long Island Newsday, New York Post, CBS News Radio