Weddings/Convalidation ceremony invitations

Question
My husband and I were married in 2004, in a hurry because of his military deployment.  We are going through the process within the Catholic church to have our marriage blessed (convalidated).  I am currently not able to participate in may aspects of mass, as our marriage is not recognized.  Most of my husband's family is Baptist or not practicing any religion at all.  I am afraid that if the invitations are not worded correctly, they may not understand the serious nature of what we are doing (and end up not coming).  Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you so much for your time.
Sincerely,
Lauri

Answer
Hi, Lauri. What a great question. I can see you're in a really unique situation. I hope I can offer some guidance. Because you were already legally wed, it would not be appropriate for you to reference this event as a wedding. Therefore, you have a couple of different options. What you are technically doing and what has a very official sound to it is you are being "united in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony". If you'd like, you can include this on the invitations. Something like:

Mr. and Mrs. Lauri and John Smith
request the honour of your presence
as we unite in the blessed
Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
on DATE
YEAR
TIME
Location

Now, the problem is, many of your non-Catholic friends and family may not fully understand what that means. Thus, you may want to tweak the wording to say

the honour of your presence is requested
at the blessing of our marriage...

This says the same thing and makes it a little more understandable for non-Catholics.

The third option is to reference this as a renewal of your wedding vows. Something like:

The honor of your presence
is requested at
the reaffirmation of the wedding vows of
Lauri and John Smith
Saturday, March 25 etc.

OR, if you want, you can say:

the reaffirmation of the wedding vows and
the blessing of the marriage of
Lauri and John Smith

You can include the "blessing of our marriage" if you think that's important to properly convey the seriousness of the event.

I think it's important that the invitations look in style and content much the way a formal wedding invitation would look. You really want to convey that this is a serious event, a formal affair, and something that means a great deal to you and your husband.

This may also involve making some phone calls to fully explain to your loved ones how much this event means to you and how greatly you value their presence there. However, I think any of the above wording options will convey the formality and seriousness of the event - but will be understandable to your non religious or non Catholic family members. "Renewal of vows" has a very sweet, emotional feel to it (you want to recommit your love for one another) and "Blessing of our marriage" give it that religious overtone that conveys the seriousness of the event. Either or both would be appropriate.

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes. I wish you the absolute best of luck. Let me know if I can provide any additional assistance.

Stephanie Malone
The Inviting Pear
www.theinvitingpear.com
info@theinvitingpear.com

Weddings

Stephanie Malone