Weightlifting & Exercise/Ankle weights good? or bad?

Ankle weights
Ankle weights  
Hello Jerry,
I was just wondering if ankle weights are good for a physical workout or not?
Because I had an idea on buying a pair and puting them on in the morning then going to work so that when i am at work since i walk a lot i could also get a workout at the same time. Its just i wasnt sure if with ankle weights there are concequences with the ankles or not.

Hi John,

Ankle weights have been around a long time. Here is an article that pretty well explains the problems that you may encounter with ankle weights.

I used them for some time a few years back and I believe they helped strengthen my legs and ankles. I never used them more than 2 times per week and limited the time to 1 hour per session, which may be why they worked without causing any problems, I have seen some people wear them all day especially when I was in college as well as younger soldiers in the military. I know of at least one person that feels they caused chronic pain in the ankles and knees.

If you use them I would not just put them on in the morning and walk everywhere with them on, but would use them sparingly at least at first, probably just use them sparingly period if at all.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http;//