Weightlifting & Exercise/Losing fat

I want to lose weight and have often in the past done whole-day fasts lasting from 4 to 7 days. I am well aware that the body reduces its metabolic-rate when faced with starvation, but I was wondering how much light/moderate/intense levels of exercise can negate that effect?

I am not a fan of fasts and here is why, and nothing you do by way of exercise will keep the reduction of the metabolism from happening.  Worse than the metabolism dropping is that the body continues to metabolize and burn SOMETHING for energy to pump the heart, move the blood, breathe....  

That something it burns is smooth muscle. Definition of Smooth Muscle: Smooth muscle is found within the walls of blood vessels (such smooth muscle specifically being termed vascular smooth muscle) such as in the tunica media layer of large (aorta) and small arteries, arterioles and veins. Smooth muscle is also found in lymphatic vessels, the urinary bladder, uterus (termed uterine smooth muscle), male and female reproductive tracts, gastrointestinal tract, respiratory tract, arrector pili of skin, the ciliary muscle, and iris of the eye. The structure and function is basically the same in smooth muscle cells in different organs, but the inducing stimuli differ substantially, in order to perform individual effects in the body at individual times. In addition, the glomeruli of the kidneys contain smooth muscle-like cells called mesangial cells.

Are you freaked out that you are actually compromising your body with prolonged fasting.The key is to eat right.  Stay with fresh produce. Lean meats and drink lots of water. Watch the carbohydrate you take in including the vegetables. Look at every label you can and keep your carbohydrate grams low.  On the average people eat hundreds of carbs a day, sometimes thousands. When you do that your body dumps sugar into the blood stream (blood sugar) and the pancreas releases insulin which stores all that sugar as fat. This is a simplified discussion. Remember when it metabolizes carbs turn into sugar.

My advice is to stop eating root vegetables (no carrots, potatoes, turnips, onions). Eat no bread or pasta regardless of what kind of grain it is. No oatmeal and initially no rice.

Then select lean meats, eggs (I prefer one egg with additional egg whites -- I can't stand just egg whites, but whites are good). Saute vegetables and add the eggs. Put a little pesto on them or a little salsa for taste.  Chicken, fish are fabulous. 4-6 oz of protein. Don't go wild with cheese but an ounce is good for a snack.

What I am describing is a diabetic diet. You are trying to keep your insulin at a minimum so the body will burn the fat you already have on you. I know you only asked about exercise but I am compelled to tell you about a healthier alternative for your weight loss.  This is permanent.
Be Well, Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan

Get on the inside track with Karen and her daily advice. http://karenfilisullivan.com. Or on FacebookLIKE us at ZWL - Zen of Whole Living I have more than 30 years experience and can help with lifting technique, muscle recovery, weight loss, body building and powerlifting. I've been certified by AFPA as a Personal Trainer and 12 years ago acquired a second certification from the same agency as a Post Rehabilitative Exercise Specialist. Any recommendations or advice rendered are based on fitness information as specified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. Follow my Blog on http://karenfilisullivan.com

Almost 25 years coaching and training. Wow! I feel old. Before that I was a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter (ask my Chiropractor -- he can tell you). I have trained kids ages 12 to 89. From sports specific training to stroke rehabilitation. I love helping people move more gracefully, powerfully and safely.

A few.

Published in Spring of 2013 The Zen of Weight Loss: A Mindful, Livable Approach to Fitness Get your copy at Square Market. https://squareup.com/market/body-restoration-by-karen/zen-of-weight-loss-in-mo

English with a Journalism concentration was my college education. My training has been with my mentor, Jack Michaels, ACSM and professor at the College of William and Mary. My certifications are with the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. AFPA. I hold a certification as a Personal Trainer and a Post Rehabilitation Exercise Expert (Isn't that a mouthful?l). My continuing education requirements have been fulfilled at a number of organizations and are monitored by AFPA. I keep my Red Cross CPR and First Aid current.

Clients include athletes training for marathons, mountain climbing and general weight loss. In addition I have clients troubled with COPD, Fibromyalgia, and Parkinsons as well as stroke rehab. She was the Strength and Conditioning coach for Williamsburg Aquatic Club, a USA Swim Team, in Williamsburg, Virginia for 3 years.   Karen is presently working at Main Street Gym in Historic St. Charles, Missouri where she teaches Pilates and continues her work with clients. Her training reaches across the country with her long distance Body Restoration eTraining. Her dedication to fitness reaches into the nutritional supplementation with Shaklee products. She only works with clients who add nutritional supplementation to their training. Read more of her story on www.shaklee.net/BodyRestoration