Weightlifting & Exercise/Walking uphill

I am an older Gal playing rec. indoor soccer once a week. Its pretty laid back nobody runs too hard ;-).
I am trying to get in better shape but any running for a long time has always hurt my feet and knees.
I have an old manual incline treadmill. Would walking on this for a few minutes a day be worthwhile? It would be easier than driving to the gym or buying a new motorized treadmill. Thanks!

Hi Susan,

Yours is an age old problem (I mean the situation you are dealing with not your chronological age). That of course being knee pain and foot pain when running. Running is cardiovascular wise the best activity to engage in to push your self to the maximum in cardio conditioning, with that being said however, it is the worst as far as wear-and-tear is concerned for your joints.
So how do we get you in shape for indoor soccer? First lets look at your foot-wear. Make sure you are not playing in a pair of old shoes that has the foot cushioning compromised in anyway as this is what is ultimately going to save you pain and potentially any injuries from the impact of running. Second, make sure you are working on your cardio conditioning at least 2, preferably 3 times a week-perhaps try an activity with less impact to your joints like an elliptical machine or perhaps ride a bike, assuming you have a gym to go to. If you can get in a pool, swimming is the crem de la crem'e for cardio conditioning with regards to joint safety,with almost no joint strain. As far as treadmills go, I enjoy these quite a bit but I despise most of the old style ones, which in my experience were to narrow and clunky with to firm a running surface, but they are fine to power walk on. If you can go at a good clip at an incline, this a fantastic way to increase your conditioning. If you start to develop shin splints (a general term for a condition caused by inflammation to the anterior or posterior muscles and tendons in the lower leg or adjacent soft tissue along the shin bone (tibia))stop running and apply ice to and take ibuprofen to quell any swelling and pain that results. Lastly, lets look at you muscle conditioning. By strengthening the quadriceps and hamstring muscles you further protect the knee by providing extra support for the knee joint. Also be sure to thoroughly warm-up then stretch prior to activity. Also cool down and stretch after your soccer game.

Susan I hope this information has been helpful. If you try these methods and you are still having problems, try some Dr. Scholl's or other foot orthotics and see if they help at all. If the pain increases or stays the same I would highly recommend seeing your doctor and maybe then an Orthopedist(muscular/skeletal specialist). If I can be of any further asistance to you in any way please let me know. Thank you for writing.

Weightlifting & Exercise

Greg Hoppe

I can answer questions on proper exercise technique, starting as well as growing in attaining your fitness goals and questions regrading how the human body works from an exercise physiology standpoint. I can assist with any questions regarding anatomy & physiology, stretching and rehabilitation. I am also extremely well versed and experienced in martial arts, self-defense and massage therapy.

I have a B.S in Physical Education and a Black Belt in an eclectic martial art. I am also a certified Fitness Therapist through ISSA and a massage therapist. I can assist with questions regarding hiring a health and wellness professional as well as growing and succeeding in the field for those already working in it.

ISSA, Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals

B.S. in Physical education, Black Belt, ISSA certfified Fitness Therapist.