Weightlifting & Exercise/Biceps / Triceps

Hello Karen,

I hope you can please help me?

Briefly, I'm a 33 year old female and I have been following a book/video by Joyce Vedral called the Bone Building workout.

I use weights up to 5kg each weight (dumbbell) but what I have noticed is that the bicep of my dominant arm (right) is not as muscular as my left.

I have done a bit of research and have read that I should increase the weight of the dominant arm (right) because it is used more often.  I know it doesn't seem to make sense but it has to because that is the way my body is reacting to the weights I am using.

Have you heard of this?  Would you be able to give me any advice to even my biceps out with the weights and the workout I'm following?!

I do basic curls and concentration curls only which would be 3 sets as follows:-

Left arm
1 set 12 reps 1.5kg
1 set 10 reps 2.5kg
1 set 8 reps 4kg

Right arm
1 set 12 reps 2.5kg
1 set 10 reps 4kg
1 set 8 reps 5kg

I have been doing this for about a month and haven't seen much change yet.

Thank you.

I'm not certain what the difference between your arms is.  Is your dominant arm soft and squishy? Is the muscle small and tight? Sometimes the insertion points for a muscle is different from left to right. That would cause a different look in the arm.

The weights you are doing will take time to make a difference.  If the muscle is firm then there is no issue.  Let me know.

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan

Get on the inside track with Karen and her daily advice. http://karenfilisullivan.com. Or on FacebookLIKE us at ZWL - Zen of Whole Living I have more than 30 years experience and can help with lifting technique, muscle recovery, weight loss, body building and powerlifting. I've been certified by AFPA as a Personal Trainer and 12 years ago acquired a second certification from the same agency as a Post Rehabilitative Exercise Specialist. Any recommendations or advice rendered are based on fitness information as specified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. Follow my Blog on http://karenfilisullivan.com

Almost 25 years coaching and training. Wow! I feel old. Before that I was a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter (ask my Chiropractor -- he can tell you). I have trained kids ages 12 to 89. From sports specific training to stroke rehabilitation. I love helping people move more gracefully, powerfully and safely.

A few.

Published in Spring of 2013 The Zen of Weight Loss: A Mindful, Livable Approach to Fitness Get your copy at Square Market. https://squareup.com/market/body-restoration-by-karen/zen-of-weight-loss-in-mo

English with a Journalism concentration was my college education. My training has been with my mentor, Jack Michaels, ACSM and professor at the College of William and Mary. My certifications are with the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. AFPA. I hold a certification as a Personal Trainer and a Post Rehabilitation Exercise Expert (Isn't that a mouthful?l). My continuing education requirements have been fulfilled at a number of organizations and are monitored by AFPA. I keep my Red Cross CPR and First Aid current.

Clients include athletes training for marathons, mountain climbing and general weight loss. In addition I have clients troubled with COPD, Fibromyalgia, and Parkinsons as well as stroke rehab. She was the Strength and Conditioning coach for Williamsburg Aquatic Club, a USA Swim Team, in Williamsburg, Virginia for 3 years.   Karen is presently working at Main Street Gym in Historic St. Charles, Missouri where she teaches Pilates and continues her work with clients. Her training reaches across the country with her long distance Body Restoration eTraining. Her dedication to fitness reaches into the nutritional supplementation with Shaklee products. She only works with clients who add nutritional supplementation to their training. Read more of her story on www.shaklee.net/BodyRestoration