Weightlifting & Exercise/breasts

I've lost some weight (about 10kg)with diet and exercise. I now feel that my breasts have lost volume and are a little saggy, which is really frustrating (and depressing) because I am really happy with the rest of my body.  My breasts have never been terribly perky, but now I've lost cleavage and there seems to be a bit of a gap (or 'sunkeness') in the middle of my chest.  I am also confused about whether continued exercise will make this worse, although I enjoy exercising a lot.  Recently I started lifting weights.  Could this be worse for my breasts?  I really don't want to resort to surgery at this point.  Is there anything I can do? How can women exercise without losing breast volume?  I don't know whether I'm doing too much cardio.  I'm looking a little thin too.  Not sure whether I should be having more carbs/protein.  I haven't been eating much, and when I do it's mainly vegetarian.  Just the sight of my breasts is enough to turn me off food.
Kind regards, Gisella

Hi Gisella,
Congratulations on your weight loss.  Your issue with your chest is common. When you lose weight you realize the size of your bust was increased by fat.  No biggie really.  The main thing is to build the chest MUSCLE. At sparkpeople.com you can find exercise demonstrations.  Select chest exercises and do 2-3 of them every OTHER DAY. Make sure you give the muscle rest. Make sure you feel it all the way into the center of the chest. It will enhance the look of your chest...it will not increase your breast tissue.  It will support the chest.
Best of luck

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan

Get on the inside track with Karen and her daily advice. http://karenfilisullivan.com. Or on FacebookLIKE us at ZWL - Zen of Whole Living I have more than 30 years experience and can help with lifting technique, muscle recovery, weight loss, body building and powerlifting. I've been certified by AFPA as a Personal Trainer and 12 years ago acquired a second certification from the same agency as a Post Rehabilitative Exercise Specialist. Any recommendations or advice rendered are based on fitness information as specified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. Follow my Blog on http://karenfilisullivan.com

Almost 25 years coaching and training. Wow! I feel old. Before that I was a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter (ask my Chiropractor -- he can tell you). I have trained kids ages 12 to 89. From sports specific training to stroke rehabilitation. I love helping people move more gracefully, powerfully and safely.

A few.

Published in Spring of 2013 The Zen of Weight Loss: A Mindful, Livable Approach to Fitness Get your copy at Square Market. https://squareup.com/market/body-restoration-by-karen/zen-of-weight-loss-in-mo

English with a Journalism concentration was my college education. My training has been with my mentor, Jack Michaels, ACSM and professor at the College of William and Mary. My certifications are with the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. AFPA. I hold a certification as a Personal Trainer and a Post Rehabilitation Exercise Expert (Isn't that a mouthful?l). My continuing education requirements have been fulfilled at a number of organizations and are monitored by AFPA. I keep my Red Cross CPR and First Aid current.

Clients include athletes training for marathons, mountain climbing and general weight loss. In addition I have clients troubled with COPD, Fibromyalgia, and Parkinsons as well as stroke rehab. She was the Strength and Conditioning coach for Williamsburg Aquatic Club, a USA Swim Team, in Williamsburg, Virginia for 3 years.   Karen is presently working at Main Street Gym in Historic St. Charles, Missouri where she teaches Pilates and continues her work with clients. Her training reaches across the country with her long distance Body Restoration eTraining. Her dedication to fitness reaches into the nutritional supplementation with Shaklee products. She only works with clients who add nutritional supplementation to their training. Read more of her story on www.shaklee.net/BodyRestoration