Weightlifting & Exercise/exercise

Question
Hi.  I have a question.  I've seen workout routines that include 25 minutes of cardio and toning, but is that really enough exercise?  I mean, is it really healthy to only exercise for 25 minutes a day?  Thanks

Answer
Danielle,

Great question, the short answer is that any exercise if done correctly is "healthy" for you, especially given that in today's society the amount of people that exercise daily is miniscule.
But if I read between the lines I believe that what you want to know is is that optimal. It depends greatly what the individuals goal is and the age and condition of the exerciser. Let's say for the sake of this question that the person is reasonably fit. For general health maintenance this workout is in my opinion borderline at best. The experts typically agree that we should all strive for at least 30 min. of cardiovascular exercise daily. In addition to that we should strive for some type of resistance/weight bearing exercise 2-3 times a week as well. This should be a resistance that you can do 8-12 repetitions of, for 2-3 sets and you should feel like your muscles are taxed by the last few reps of each set. If you can do 15 reps and not feel much of a "burn" or fatigue in the muscle you need to increase the weight. In your example this person should do this exercise in addition to to what I have stated here. It can possibly be done as one of the resistance traing days or possibly as a cool down after lifting weights, where you can further exhaust the muscle after it is already warmed up. So to answer your question, 25 min. or cardio and toning alone is not optimal but if it is part of a more encompassing workout then I say excellent.
I hope this clears up your question for you,best of luck to you in your fitness journey.

Greg  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Greg Hoppe