Weightlifting & Exercise/lighter=faster?

In most sports, with the exceptions possibly being football and baseball, do the lightest atheletes tend to be faster?
I have noticed as a soccer/hockey mom that the fastest, but not necessarilly the most skilled, kids tend to be smaller and lighter.
I have a big family of jocks, and my husband thinks that the boys need to put on more muscle to get faster and stronger. He thinks they need to 'bulk up' with lots of squats, cleans, etc. I dont know if that is a good idea. Most of the pro soccer, hockey, and other speed type players tend to be muscular but slim-like a swimmer. I think the boys should stay away from weights to stay light and just work on speed drills, or just do light weights with lots of reps.
I know myself I have lost ten pounds recently and I feel lighter on my feet-but what do I know ;-)
Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Barb,

I think the real answer is somewhere in the middle. For many years cyclists and others were told that if they did weights they would bulk up and become "muscle bound". That myth has been pretty much destroyed as most cyclists and others do at least some resistance exercise.

I would stay away from teaching power lifting at a young age but some amount of Resistance training will actually help keep the fat off while increasing strength and power. Age also has a considerable amount to do with it, I would not do a tremendous amount of heavy weight training with young children.

The expert to check out for Children speed training though is Brian Grasso here is one of his lectures, if he says something different than what I have said here then I defer to his expertise

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at askme.com until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http://www.bmgfitness.com http;//www.healthandfitnessebookclub.com