Weightlifting & Exercise/Lose Weight Around the Waist

Question
Hi Karen,

Before I ask my question, let me give a little body profile (just in case it helps you answer in the correct contex).
I am,
Male, Age 43, Height 183 cm, Weight 200lbs.

I have been working out for about a year now. I do about 25 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of wieghts training (for 3-4 days a week).
I think I am much better than what I was when I started. But now I am faced with the hardest part. And that is to eliminate/reduce the fat around the waist. Since I seem to have lost the excess fat from other part of the body, just that excess fat around the waist makes it look quite ugly.
I would guess that at this point, I need to target the waist area with some specific techniques.
Would you help me with some specific techniques/tips that would help me work with the waist/stomach area.

Thanks.

Anil

Answer
Dear Anil,
The key to losing any fat is in the diet you consume. Your workouts can only do so much and there is no such thing as spot reducing with exercise. Specific toning, but it won't get rid of the extra fat.

What you want to do is turn your body into a fat burning machine. Fat is fuel and we want to make the body burn, not store, that fuel. To do that we have to reduce drastically the amount of insulin that is dumping into the body by reducing sugars....sugars in the form of sugar (fruit, raw sugar, honey)

To do that you need to reduce the grams of carbohydrates in your diet. Watch everything including dressings and condiments.  Start by eliminating all bread and potatoes and pasta and fruit. Anything with white flour and root vegetables like potatoes and carrots. Then pay special attention to drinks and reduce alcohol....you want the body to burn fat and if you are drinking it will burn the alcohol for fuel...thus reducing the amount of fat you are burning.

Eat nutrient rich foods. Fresh veggies that are leafy and full of fiber. Lean meats are wonderful and should be consumed with each meal. In this country we have some diets outlined called Atkins and South Beach as well as a diabetic diet....all are super. I have my clients start low (as recommended by Atkins) with about 25g a day -- don't go any lower. They pay attention to how their bodies feel and determine how much they can consume and still drop weight. We don't watch calories but make sure you don't eat like there is no tomorrow.  Also, drink about 100 ounces of water a day.

This web site might answer some more questions for you. http://www.atkins.com/Home.aspx
Best of luck to you.

Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan