Weightlifting & Exercise/protein intake and muscle gain

Question
Hello,

How long should I wait in between my workout and protein intake?

For instance, is it ok that I spend 2 or 3 hours after my workout before I take my proteins? when is it the best and most efficient time to take my proteins? before my workouts, during my workouts?

Thanks

Regards

Jake K

Answer
Hey Jake,

I hope you're doing well. If you're waiting until 2-3 hours after a workout then your muscles are already being starved of protein, therefore the breakdown of muscle tissue will be used as energy for the muscles.

Of course taking protein straight after your workout is perfect. I recommend no longer than 45 minutes to 1 hour. After a workout I always take my protein shake which is great in just water (whey core 100). If you don't want to use protein shakes after your workout you can always carry some nuts and fruit in your gym bag.

Before your workout, it depends on what you're eating. If it's a heavy meal then leave at least an hour for it to settle and start digest a bit. Protein shakes 30 mins before your workout.

During you workouts if you wish you can sip on a protein shake however it's not necessary.

I hope this has helped you.

Regards

Ian  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Muzza Fitness