Weightlifting & Exercise/power training

Question
Hi Jerry,

I'm 17 year old and I play soccer I'm in off season now and I am training for power and strength trying to maximize my body power output, but someone told me that I should work all body parts except chest that I should avoid training chest with the pretext that it could significantly reduce my mobility and speed if the chest grows bigger!!! I would like to know if this fact stands true of it's just a nonsense??

Answer
Hi Korab,

As far as I know and as far as others I have asked the part about having a larger chest causing loss of mobility or speed is a complete myth. I wonder sometimes how or why people come up with this sort of thing. Next time someone tells you something like this, ask them to site studies that prove it as true.

It was once believed that people that exercised and power lift would become muscle bound and not be able to run or do anything that took coordination. Cycling was one place where it was challenged and proven to be a total myth. Now virtually every professional athlete in just about every sport workout with weights as part of their training.

I could not find any professional or amateur athlete or trainer among my contacts that did anything other than laugh when I ask them the question.

Hope this helps. Now if the people can show you actual studies showing their opinion is correct and the studies are double blind scientific studies with a reasonable sampling of participants. then I would really appreciate you sending them to me. I am not prefect but at this point have to believe your friends are incorrect.

Have a great day

Jerry  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin