Weightlifting & Exercise/pullups

When I do chinups, I notice that as I pull up, I move my legs slightly up, it helps in giving me momentum to go higher thereby a longer leverage. Is this ok/advisable or some form of cheating?

Thank you.

Hi Eddie,

Any form of cheating will detract from the muscles which you are trying to work, thereby making the exercise easier than if you did not cheat.  If you do this all the time, you will compromise results, and if you're not careful, it could lead to injury.

The only time you may want to use it is when you have done all the reps you can by keeping proper form (no cheating), and then using a bit of momentum (similar to how you have described), to get the weight to the top portion, and then focus on controlling the negative.  But even then, I would use that sparingly at 1-2 reps, max, if at all.

Weightlifting & Exercise

The following types of questions are fine: overall benefits of exercise, bodyfat reduction / weight loss, interests, training for specific bodyparts, order of exercises and reps/sets, routine suggestions, general questions. The following types of questions I will NOT answer: questions about physical therapy training post-injury, questions about training after medical treatment.

Personal Trainer for people of all age groups

B.S. in Exercise Science / Kinesiology

I have worked with and trained clients of many ages, both teenagers, college students, and adults. Many are just starting out, while others are looking to get in the best shape of their life. I've often seen that it's the one-two combo of exercise and diet which really makes an impact in seeing overall results. Every client needs to make a commitment to the lifestyle in order to see real results.