Weightlifting & Exercise/gym and exercise with hernia history

Dear Karen

I m 33 year old male in Nepal. I have been into gym for a little less than two years. In 2005 i underwent an inguinal hernia surgery on my right side of groin. There still is a numbness on the operated zone. My left testicle is very normal in size but the right is as large as a chicken egg. Because of this the left testicle slips down near to perineum  I sometimes did light abs exercise but not of lower abs. IT has been some months i have not done abs exercise at all. Although not excruciating, my bigger testicle sometimes have a dull pain and there is a different feeling on the operated area. I mean i do not feel the same on the both sides of groin.

My question...Can i continue doing upper abs exercises? While doing abs exercise whenever i feel some strain or pain of some feeling of difference on the right pelvic i immediately stop continue that particular exercise. While doing other exercises except abs i do not have any sort of feeling of difference on the right side. Is gym ok for me at all? Moreover I have been running for more than two years. I run for couple of miles a day every morning. While running there is no feeling of difference on the both sides of the groin. Is it advisable for me to use tight undies so as not to let the scrotum dangle?

Looking forward to your response before long
Kathmandu Nepal

Thank you for contacting me regarding your health/exercise issues. I am sorry to say that this is really out of my expertise. I am not a physician and in particular I do not know what the surgeon said/did with your repair. I strongly recommend you speak with him/her and ask -- unless you have already contacted him.  Have you asked these same questions of any other doctor? You might think about asking for another opinion from a physician. I am sorry I do not have the training to be able to answer your concerns.
Thank you for considering me for your answers, but I am not comfortable answering this question.
Thank you again,

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan

Get on the inside track with Karen and her daily advice. Or on FacebookLIKE us at ZWL - Zen of Whole Living I have more than 30 years experience and can help with lifting technique, muscle recovery, weight loss, body building and powerlifting. I've been certified by AFPA as a Personal Trainer and 12 years ago acquired a second certification from the same agency as a Post Rehabilitative Exercise Specialist. Any recommendations or advice rendered are based on fitness information as specified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. Follow my Blog on

Almost 25 years coaching and training. Wow! I feel old. Before that I was a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter (ask my Chiropractor -- he can tell you). I have trained kids ages 12 to 89. From sports specific training to stroke rehabilitation. I love helping people move more gracefully, powerfully and safely.

A few.

Published in Spring of 2013 The Zen of Weight Loss: A Mindful, Livable Approach to Fitness Get your copy at Square Market.

English with a Journalism concentration was my college education. My training has been with my mentor, Jack Michaels, ACSM and professor at the College of William and Mary. My certifications are with the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. AFPA. I hold a certification as a Personal Trainer and a Post Rehabilitation Exercise Expert (Isn't that a mouthful?l). My continuing education requirements have been fulfilled at a number of organizations and are monitored by AFPA. I keep my Red Cross CPR and First Aid current.

Clients include athletes training for marathons, mountain climbing and general weight loss. In addition I have clients troubled with COPD, Fibromyalgia, and Parkinsons as well as stroke rehab. She was the Strength and Conditioning coach for Williamsburg Aquatic Club, a USA Swim Team, in Williamsburg, Virginia for 3 years.   Karen is presently working at Main Street Gym in Historic St. Charles, Missouri where she teaches Pilates and continues her work with clients. Her training reaches across the country with her long distance Body Restoration eTraining. Her dedication to fitness reaches into the nutritional supplementation with Shaklee products. She only works with clients who add nutritional supplementation to their training. Read more of her story on