Weightlifting & Exercise/hips high or low in the deadlift

Question
I have thought a lot about technique and pulling mechanics in the deadlift lately.

As I see it, I can either begin to lift with my hips low or my hips high.

With my hips set high my back is parallel to the floor when I begin to lift (like a Romanian deadlift). Because of this, my quads are left out of the movement and my lower back and hamstring is doing the work. I can lift the most weight in this position, but feel that the stress on the lower back is more than what I can recover from in the long run and that the legs does not get worked sufficiently.

With my hips set low my back is in a somewhat more upright position. I think some refers to this as a clean style deadlift. This enables the quads to do more work in the beginning of the movement. I also imagine that doing it this way will stress my lower back less than above version. However, when the weight on the bar becomes really heavy, my hips will shoot up so that the hips are in the high position as explained above.  I take this as a sign that the most natural way for me to lift heavy weight is with the hips set high to begin with.

So, how should I lift? Maybe deadlifting a barbell is not the best exercise for my biomechanics?

For the record, I am tall (6.5 feet).

I am interested in hearing your opinion on this.

Answer
in order to define your optimum biomechanics for pulling... Practice powercleans. work up to a heavy weight but a weight you can move quickly. do these instead of deadlifts for about 3-4 weeks. whatever "natural" position your body assumes in the powerclean will be YOUR most efficient position to pull. AVOID deadlifting the way you described, shooting your hips up too soon, this is an injury waiting to happen. also, I recomend you use an overhand grip, not the staggered grip used in competition, at first you'll be forced to use a little less weight, but be setting your body in a far safer position.

Weightlifting & Exercise

Vveth Hammer