Weightlifting & Exercise/Meaning of Light, Moderate and Heavy Weights

I want to know that how do we calculate the right kind of weights I should use for my workouts.
My doctor told me to go for Moderate Weights but I do not exactly know what measure of weights will be called moderate for me.
I am 26 years of age, 5,11 in hieght and 70 kgs.

Please tell me how to calculate Moderate weights?
I have heard it has something to do with the BMI, but donot exactly know the formula.

Hi Amit,

This is a very subjective thing, what one athlete will feel is "heavy" another might feel is moderate. The size of the weight is also dependent on the exercise itself, a weight that would be considered heavy for a curl would be light far say a bench press, etc.

Secondly I don't trust BMI for pretty much anything, too many variables it doesn't take into account

With that said here is how I would probably handle it if it really mattered that much to me. Any weight I could do 15 reps and feel like the last rep I do is positively the last rep I can do with good form would would be considered my "Heavy: weights for that exercise. The ones I can do 15 reps and feel like I could to 15 more with perfect form would be the "Light" and everything in between would be "moderate"

Realize that as you workout and become stronger that all 3 of these will change. They will probably change quite a bit when you first start doing this, then as you "dial it in" the changes will be smaller.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http;//