Weightlifting & Exercise/step up

Question
Hi there,
Ive started doing step ups ( single step ) with dumbells for quads. I wish to know the ups and downs about keeping the step high ( 70 deg at the back of my knee ). Will this be bad for my knees in the long run?

Cheers
Roy

Answer
Hey Roy

Keep the step moderate. A HIGH step puts terrible pressure on knees. That is why most stairs are the same height.  

As for the dumbbells - how heavy? Keep the weight light. Again, bone joints.

I have been using The Step for 25 years. Very simple and effective exercise. Especially as you grow old and keep climbing stairs.

Stepping' 10-20 times, left foot, then 10-20 times, right foot, in the morning, and just before you go to bed, works wonders. And it is easy on the body. Even better results; after every exercise program, sit in a recliner chair, feet up, for about 15 minutes. Recovery is the most important part of any exercise program.

PS This exercise works very well for weight loss. The weight goes down slowly, but it continually goes down, and down.

And remember, a lot of exercise, or a little bit of exercise, even only once a week, does amazing things - all positive - for the human body.

Thanks for the question. Have a great 2013.

Weightlifting & Exercise

David Dickeson, A.S.