Weightlifting & Exercise/Weights and can they stunt growth

Question
Hi I'm 15 I'm about 5'6.5-7 and I wanted to know if doing the machine weights in my gym will affect my growth . Also I wanted to know how to gain more muscle and how to do so and what can I eat to complete that. I also play Basketball and I run 2 miles every other day.

Answer
Martin,
At your age the perfect thing is to run and play sports. The lifting you do in moderation. In other words, don't lift too heavy...either free weights or machines. The heavy heavy lifting is what affects the growth plates. Understand that your muscle building capabilities will improve as you age.  Be patient. You need to have the additional testosterone from maturing....lifting should only begin if you have body hair...underarms, chest, genitals.

Be smart and don't try to push your body before it is ready but exercise habits are great to begin now.
Be Well,
Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan