Weightlifting & Exercise/building thicker thighs??

Question
Hi.  I am a 17 year old female who is 5'3". My weight ranges from 117-120 pounds. I just started working out on my legs again. Im doing leg extensions; 6 sets of 30 reps on 75 pounds. This is as much weight as i can push at this moment. Sad i know, but im building up. My goal is to build thicker thighs instead of having twig legs. Well when i work out my legs burn of course. My knees hurt alot because of it, but i do make sure my knees never go over my toes when doing the leg extensions. After my work out my legs feel tingly and sometimes give out when walking for about 30 minutes. The next day my muscles are never sore. I was told that if im never sore the next day then my muscles aren't being destroyed therefor not building up in bulkiness, so my workout is pointless. Is this true? And if so, what can i do to bulk my thighs up?

Answer
Sarah, I am not a fan of leg extension.  This is an example of leg extension. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=229

It is very hard on the knees.

I prefer you do the exercises below.  Also....this 30 rep stuff is not for building.  To build you want to do 10-12 reps...heavy as YOU can. Heavy is relative. Don't push too hard too fast because you can injure yourself.  

Start your workout with a nice walk on the treadmill.  10 minutes....elevation around a 10.  Then Do leg press.....hack squat.....leg curl.....walking lunges.....dead lifts. ...calf raises.   I would start with 6 sets of 12 of each exercise. Do all six of one exercise then move to next one.  Never stretch during or before workouts.  Stretching comes after.  

Your knees hurt because they are doing all the work.  Lay off the extensions.  

Let me know if you wanna talk
Be Well! Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan