Weightlifting & Exercise/Weightlifting World Records.

Question
Weight Lifting
Weight Lifting  
Weight Lifting
Weight Lifting  
QUESTION: Dear David

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weightlifting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_and_jerk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snatch_(weightlifting)

What is the approach or process a fitness trainer in Gymnasium will suggest for a person who says "I want to create a world record in the next Olympic games for my country in both "Clean and Jerk" and "Snatch" Category by lifting Maximum Number of Weights" ?

Is Body building and Weight lifting are two different categories ?

Can Body Builders like Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger
and all other Body Builders achieve this feat ?

Is it the sheer strength, might and power required for this achievement ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hello Prashant

Well, genetics has a lot to do with achieving goals of lifting weights heavier than any one else.
People who strive for such lifting are what is know as "power lifters."

Body builders go for high body definition.
Weight lifters go for large body mass.
Neither are power lifters.
Both can lift sometimes very heavy, but not as heavy as power lifters.

Stallone and Schwarznegger both use various injected supplements to achieve, and keep their mass and definition. BOTH show the "signs" of age due to such use of supplements. Lou Feregno does not and looks amazingly good for his age.

Find a gym that has a small group that does power lifting. They are always looking for new people to train with. And they have the right equipment to achieve your goals. Remember that power lifters work toward lifting 2 to 3 times their body weight. I read about a 14 year old girl who can lift two times her body weight. THAT made her the world champion power lifter for her age and weight. At age 14...

Good luck with your goals and success.

QUESTION: Dear David

Thank you.

Is this process mentioned below from my side could be a logical approach for this achievement ?

If a Human being weighing 80 kg in the category and the Olympic world record
is say 270 kg and he/she wants to break this world record by lifting 300 kg
and create a New world record then :

To achieve 300 kg maximum weight lift, Start on day one with - 10 kg, on day 5 - 20 kg, on day 15 - 30 kg  and so on ..... till you lift 300 kg maximum weight.

As you mentioned correctly, specific exercises for shoulders, leg muscles, biceps, triceps etc including the right diet plan, techniques for both clean and jerk, snatch weightlifting categories will be part of every day program.

Will the above method work ?. i.e. To achieve a maximum  weight lift of 300 kg, one starts with a small weight and then increase the weights as days progresses.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Be sure to get involved with a good power lifting group. Their documentation you will need when you reach your goal of power lifting champion.

A lifting goal is like eating an elephant. One bite at a time. Using fractional weight plates, slowly increase your lifting by 1 pound at a time.

When I started, at age 35, weightlifting, I could lift and hold 30 pounds, including the 15 pound weight bar, using my shoulders and neck, for 1 minute. I slowly increased the weight by adding 1 pound to what I was lifting.

One day I got to 100 pounds! I was amazed. Then it became 200 pounds, 300 pounds, 400 pounds, 500 pounds. I peaked at 587 pounds. Not because I could not lift any more; it was where my body got too big! I could not even sit in a chair.

So I cut the weight back, again and again. I stopped at 400 lbs for 10 years. Then I dropped down again when I turned 55. Now I am lifting 230 lbs. and my body is the same size and shape as when I reached 50. Amazing. And the weight still feels really heavy.

Fractional plates can be found on the internet. I use a standard bar, so I bought from a boat supply company, steel washers with a 1 inch diamater hole. 3 washers was equal to 1/2 pound. For olympic weights, get washers with a `1-1/2" diamater hole.

Hows that?

QUESTION: Dear David

Thank you.

Do you feel the Best Solution for achieving this feat would be hiring services of a ex Olympic Weightlifter who has already bagged gold medal for his country. He/She would be the Best coach/trainer for achieving this goal.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
It is always better to pursue the good advice of others who have achieved their goals in life.
As with my knowledge, I know what works, and what does not! The same will be achieved by using an ex olympic weigh lifter's knowledge of the sport.

Good luck with your goals. Be sure to write down what you want to achieve in your life. Everything! By writing down what you want in life, your dreams and goals then come true for you.

Weightlifting & Exercise

David Dickeson, A.S.