Weightlifting & Exercise/Weightlifting World Records.

Question
Weight Lifting
Weight Lifting  
Weight Lifting
Weight Lifting  
QUESTION: Dear Karen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weightlifting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_and_jerk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snatch_(weightlifting)

What is the approach or process a fitness trainer in Gymnasium will suggest for a person who says "I want to create a world record in the next Olympic games for my country in both "Clean and Jerk" and "Snatch" Category by lifting Maximum Number of Weights" ?

Is Body building and Weight lifting are two different categories ?

Can Body Builders like Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger
and all other Body Builders achieve this feat ?

Is it the sheer strength, might and power required for this achievement ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Greetings.  Sorry for your wait.
Both kinds of lifting require strength of will and dedication. They are very different in their training and execution.  One is not better than the other and as a matter of fact sometimes people will cross train for their specific sport into the other kind of lifting.  

The process is dependent on the individual's strengths and then begin the process of building the body.  Arnold and Sly could do weight lifting but probably don't want to.

I am a little confused about your question. I cannot advise you on how to begin a program for either because I don't know what strengths you have and where you want to go with it.

If you want to write back and explain your goals I can work from there
Karen

QUESTION: Dear Karen

Thank you.

Is this process mentioned below from my side could be a logical approach for this achievement ?

If a Human being weighing 80 kg in the category and the Olympic world record is say 270 kg and he/she wants to break this world record by lifting 300 kg and create a New world record then :

To achieve 300 kg maximum weight lift, Start on day one with - 10 kg, on day 5 - 20 kg, on day 15 - 30 kg  and so on ..... till you lift 300 kg maximum weight.

As you mentioned correctly, specific exercises for shoulders, leg muscles, biceps, triceps etc including the right diet plan, techniques for both clean and jerk, snatch weightlifting categories will be part of every day program.

Will the above method work ?. i.e. To achieve a maximum  weight lift of 300 kg, one starts with a small weight and then increase the weights as days progresses.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Yes Prashant!  That is how you start.  Make sure you give yourself rest between lifting days. Eat well. Don't push too fast!
Good luck, karen

QUESTION: Dear Karen

Thank you.

Are there any good books on "How to be a Olympic Weightlifter","Best Practices for Olympic Weightlifting" similar to books written on Body Building ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Prashant,
I am a big fan of amazon.com.  If you type in Olympic lifting they present a list of books.  I have not read any of them so I recommend you read through the descriptions and find the one that you feel will work for you.  Good luck to you.  Olympic lifting is the one thing I have never done!  Be well!
Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan