Weightlifting & Exercise/Workout plan for 13 yr old

My son is currently playing Basketball. I would like to add in some additional light weight training and core exercises plus cardio to improve his game performance. He eats very well just not a big fan of breakfast every morning. He is about 5'3 and weight 105.

What do you recommend?

First I would try to get him on a consistent breakfast routine.  Start small and build from there.  Breakfast is important to start the metabolism going and get calories for energy in your body.

I would start with some bodyweight exercises such as push-ups, pull-ups, some squats, and lunges.  Work on the technique so that when he gets older and his body can handle some weights the technique won't be an issue.

For core, I would do planks and side planks.

For cardio, jumping rope is good for basketball players.  It also helps to improve quickness and agility.  Start with a small time frame and then build up to 15 minutes.

Hope that helps you out.

Weightlifting & Exercise

Adam Kessler

I am a speed expert. I can answer any questions you have in regards to getting faster and quicker. Also, any other sport-specific training questions that you may have. Strength training is important to developing speed so if you are an athlete needing help on your strength program, I can also provide assistance.

If you have general questions about weight loss or gain, I have created a document that answers a lot of those questions. If your question falls in this area, please download this document and read what you need to do. This will save me and you time. Please click here to download this document. I will NOT answer any general weight loss/weight gain questions that does not pertain to an athlete.

Also, please don't ask me to give you a workout to do. I can't give individualized workouts over this forum. I know nothing about you. If you misinterpret what I'm saying, get hurt, then I get in trouble. So no workouts period.

Take a look at our document, The Secrets to Their Success. Over 100 athletes and coaches that have worked with our program give their data of improvements and testimonials about the help we were able to provide for them. You can download that free document here to see the changes these athletes had by working with us. CLICK HERE www.fitnessplanning.com/success.htm.

Follow me on Twitter by clicking here!.

Become a fan of my Facebook Fan Page, by clicking here!

I have had over 16 years of experience in the health and fitness field. The last 9, I started and have been running my own personal training company. I was the head strength coach of an area high school for 4 years before committing to my company full-time.

I am a member of the National Strength and Conditioning Association. I also belong to USA Weightlifting.

I have been the feature of several articles in Columbus Business First and Mid-Ohio Golfer. I have written articles for various online article directories which can be found by Google searching my name. I have presented at several state and local strength and conditioning clinics.

B.A. at Indiana University (1994)
Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
USA Weightlifting Sport Performance Coach