Weightlifting & Exercise/How to avoid meniscus tear

Question
Hello Ms. Sullivan

I am 24 years old and have been lifting weights and exercising for years but a few years ago I sustained a meniscus tear and have since recovered after surgery but I am nonetheless worried about sustaining another injury of that kind. Before my first injury, I used to run a lot, on treadmills and outside but did not do as many leg workouts when lifting.  When I first noticed the pain, it was severe but would alleviate with rest but then return when I tried to resume running and so I needed surgery.

So I was wondering what types of exercises are most likely to cause a meniscus injury.  As of late, I have been doing deadlifts, leg press, leg extensions but lots of people claim that these exercises can be bad for your knees, especially if done with improper form.  If any of these are best to be avoided, could you recommend some alternatives for me?

Answer
Chris,
Sometimes I hear that people have not been sent to rehab after surgery and that mystifies me.  I am assuming that was the case for you too.  This web site from WebMD has a great article with pictures of the exercises you need to do.  

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/rehabilitation-for-a-meniscus-tear#  (page 4)

Now, they might seem silly and you don't feel anything but if you haven't done any rehab...try starting with this.  All of the exercises you told me about CAN hurt you, but if you do them right you will be  fine.

The first person who should have told you about the precautions for your knee was your doctor. Then the therapist...if you had one. Anything can cause this kind of injury. Strengthening with weights is a great way to help the body stay strong. Not knowing your specific situation I recommend you being conservative in your training. When you squat don't go too low.  I would not do leg extensions. You can try hack squats for the quads. Be sure you stretch AFTER you workout. Warm ups should be light exercises....NOT STRETCHING. Got that? Stretch after never before.
Don't overtrain...too heavy.

Make sure you get rest between workouts and if you can...run this by your doc.  
Be Well,
Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan