Weightlifting & Exercise/Dietary Plan

Question
Hey Greg,

What will happen to my body if I only had whey protein shake (grams/pound and a 70 kilos), drink plenty of water, do medium weight lifting workouts(like only using 10kg dumbells and 10-10 kgs on barbell, more reps) and cheat on every 7th day. Will that destroy me physically or shred my fat?

Answer
Ali,

Whey protein is good for putting on muscle but you must be careful to do it in moderation as their are dangers in taking to much. Read this information from the Livestrong foundation:

"Athletes, dieters, and active individuals use whey protein supplements for reasons such as muscle gain, weight loss and meal replacement. This wide use has caused whey protein supplements to come under scrutiny for safety reasons. There are many misconceptions when it comes to the dangers of whey protein supplementation, and an in depth look will help you determine which of those are fact and which are fiction. Remember to consult with your doctor before taking whey protein supplements.

Gain Fat
Whey protein can make you fat. Eating or drinking too much of any food or beverage can increase your calorie intake beyond what is needed for muscle gain or maintenance. These extra calories will be converted to fat and stored as adipose tissue. Whey protein is easy and convenient to consume. This makes it easier to overindulge and take in additional calories that may not be needed; however, this does not need to happen if you plan your intake of whey use appropriately.

advertisement Sponsored Links
5 Foods you must not eat:
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating banana, corn,
Trimdownclub.com
Lactose Intolerance
Whey protein is a milk derivative; therefore, individuals who are lactose intolerant should avoid it. Most whey protein products place milk on their allergen label. There are many other protein supplement options besides whey, so if you are lactose intolerant you may want to check with your doctor about egg and soy based protein supplements.

Liver and Kidney
Protein breakdown is performed primarily by the liver and the excess waste is excreted via the kidneys. It then stands to reason that excess protein might overly tax these organs; however, research into this area is mixed. A study by Jacques R. Poortmans and Olivier Dellalieux, appearing in the "International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism" in March 2000 states that protein ingestion under 2.8 g per kg body-weight does not impair renal function in athletes. In contrast, the American Diabetes Association recommends individuals with diabetes consume only the recommended daily amount, RDA, or lower for protein. Also, if an individual has kidney and liver disease, protein intake must be monitored closely from a doctor or registered dietitian.

Digestive Issues
Whey protein supplementation is also associated with digestive issues related to excess protein intake, such as abdominal pain, gas, bloating and diarrhea, according to Melvin Williams in the book "Nutrition for Health, Fitness, and Sport." Supplement companies are now putting lactase and other digestive enzymes in their whey products to help reduce these side effects."

Sponsored Links
Myelofibrosis
Learn About a Treatment Option. Read More & Get Help Today!
www.myelofibrosistreatment.com

1 Tip To Lose Belly Fat
Cut pounds of stomach fat every week by using this 1 weird old tip.
MiracleGarciniaCambogia.com

Lose Belly Fat Naturally
3 sneaky hormones that are making you fat & how to stop them now.
www.realdose.com/weight-loss

Foods That Cause Joint Pain
Learn What Causes Joint Pain. Find Out How To Cope Today.
MyArthritisNeeds.com

References
"Nutrition for Health, Fitness, & Sport"; Melvin Williams; 2010
"International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism"; Jacques R. Poortmans and Olivier Dellalieux; March 2000

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/204263-what-are-the-dangers-of-a-whey-protein-

Now as far as water is concerned you are right in drinking alot of it, always stay hydrated. I am not sure what you mean by cheating on the 7th day, is this in regards to your diet or your workout? If it is in regards to your workout are you talking about technique or skipping a workout? If you are trying to gain size, then more weight and lower reps. 5-8 rep sets would be good. I am not sure how difficult 10kg are for you but you want a weight that you can barely lift by the last rep of each set. Doing what you asked about in your question would most likely destroy you physically and may even  make you fatter. Take the recommended dosage and not more. More is never better, remember that, at least in situations like this. You are much better off eating a balanced diet, with lots of protein and fruits and vegetables. Best of luck in your fitness endeavor and stay safe.

Greg

Weightlifting & Exercise

Greg Hoppe