Weightlifting & Exercise/Muscle weight

Question
I completed the Insanity 9 week workout program about a month ago.  I lost 15 pound and clearly gain some muscle.  While on the 6 workouts per week, I also went to the gym for basketball 3 times a week, for 9 workouts per week.  Since Insanity is done, I use it once per week, run once or twice and still go to the gym 3 times per week.  I'm still losing weight, but maybe more than I'd expect to; about 6 more pound in 3-4 weeks.

Taking the focus off muscle building with calorie burning cardio - Insanity workouts, could I be losing muscle mass already, or is it more likely metabolism is up and 5-6 work out per week is enough to maintain and lose more weight?  3-4 workouts per week were my previous routine and my weight never fluctuated or improved from my heavy 220+ weight.  I just don't want my continued weight loss to be muscle and not fat.

Thank you in advance for you time and expertise.

Answer
Hi Michael

Roughly 2 lbs per week is considered normal on any program, in fact ideal on most. It is likely that you are actually building muscle which is in turn burning the fat, so at this point I would not be too concerned. If the constant 2 lbs a week continue for a long period like 20 or more weeks then zI would check with a physician regarding any possible underlying medical problems.

It is very likely that your metabolism is up due to the activity and once the body becomes accustomed to that the weight loss will begin to decrease.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Jerry  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin