Weightlifting & Exercise/grade 4 spondylolisthesis

I have grade 4 spondylolisthesis. I have FULL ROM and am very flexible. I can reach all the way down and touch the floor with straight legs and hands flat on the floor. Mine was caused by an injury when I was 10, and I didn't even find out I had it till I was 28. I did all kinds of high impact exercises regularly until I found out I had the condition. After stopping exercise I then developed pain in this area. Since then I have tried various exercises. I'm very frustrated because I need something that makes me sweat and burn. I love intense exercises, and it's frustrating only doing low-impact. I have not had any medical care for this, as it was discovered by accident, 18 years after it happened. The Dr. diagnosing me said to stop all impact exercises and just walk or do water aerobics. But two later doctors told me there is no reason I couldn't run short distances and do some impact exercises after I got some good PT and exercise training to re-condition me again, and teach me safe body mechanics, stretches, etc. for this condition. So, my question is, from what I'm telling you and without you actually seeing me in person, does it sound like I might be able to do what's called "fitness training", to get that really cut and defined athletic look (and strength), and is it possible to do it without weights? Low-impact exercises just don't seem to cut it for me at all. My back doesn't hurt, which is nice, but my heart rate barely elevates, and my muscles are just firm with little definition. I'm bored to tears doing low-impact. I'm a nurse, so I'm familiar with lifestyle changes. If this is what I'm going to have to learn to accept, I guess I'll concede. But I'm hoping you'll have some ideas. Thanks for your time!

I am not a physician and am not familiar with your condition.  I can imagine your frustration! What I was thinking about is the intensity of Yoga.  Done RIGHT yoga is non impact and intense. Find a yoga studio because the people there will have appropriate training...not a slam at yoga instructors elsewhere.  I want you to have the best. Tell them you want intense work.  There will be a learning curve but I think it will be worth it.  

In addition you can clean up your diet....if its not. And you should do well.  I've never seen anyone who does yoga who is beefy!
Be Well!

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan

Get on the inside track with Karen and her daily advice. http://karenfilisullivan.com. Or on FacebookLIKE us at ZWL - Zen of Whole Living I have more than 30 years experience and can help with lifting technique, muscle recovery, weight loss, body building and powerlifting. I've been certified by AFPA as a Personal Trainer and 12 years ago acquired a second certification from the same agency as a Post Rehabilitative Exercise Specialist. Any recommendations or advice rendered are based on fitness information as specified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. Follow my Blog on http://karenfilisullivan.com

Almost 25 years coaching and training. Wow! I feel old. Before that I was a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter (ask my Chiropractor -- he can tell you). I have trained kids ages 12 to 89. From sports specific training to stroke rehabilitation. I love helping people move more gracefully, powerfully and safely.

A few.

Published in Spring of 2013 The Zen of Weight Loss: A Mindful, Livable Approach to Fitness Get your copy at Square Market. https://squareup.com/market/body-restoration-by-karen/zen-of-weight-loss-in-mo

English with a Journalism concentration was my college education. My training has been with my mentor, Jack Michaels, ACSM and professor at the College of William and Mary. My certifications are with the American Fitness Professionals and Associates. AFPA. I hold a certification as a Personal Trainer and a Post Rehabilitation Exercise Expert (Isn't that a mouthful?l). My continuing education requirements have been fulfilled at a number of organizations and are monitored by AFPA. I keep my Red Cross CPR and First Aid current.

Clients include athletes training for marathons, mountain climbing and general weight loss. In addition I have clients troubled with COPD, Fibromyalgia, and Parkinsons as well as stroke rehab. She was the Strength and Conditioning coach for Williamsburg Aquatic Club, a USA Swim Team, in Williamsburg, Virginia for 3 years.   Karen is presently working at Main Street Gym in Historic St. Charles, Missouri where she teaches Pilates and continues her work with clients. Her training reaches across the country with her long distance Body Restoration eTraining. Her dedication to fitness reaches into the nutritional supplementation with Shaklee products. She only works with clients who add nutritional supplementation to their training. Read more of her story on www.shaklee.net/BodyRestoration