Weightlifting & Exercise/Improving my fitness and health before the Army

Question
First of all im 18 years old, 5'9", and 168lbs. To the worlds standards, my health and fitness is good but i would personally like to be a lot better than i am right now. I leave for osut/basic training August 5th and i want to "max" out the pt test which is stationed around 3 workouts.. max # of pushups in 2 minutes, max # of sit ups in 2 minutes, and a timed 2 mile run. I can probably do about 70 or 80 push ups, 60 or 70 sit ups, and a 14:30 minute 2 mile run. Before i arrive at basic i would like to be able to do more than 100 push ups, 80  or 90 sit ups, and a under a 13 minute 2 mile run. It may sound like im asking for too much but i can push myself to do whatever physically and mentally if i really want to. I have my mind set on destroying the pt test and i will do whatever it takes to do so. If you could please give a workout plan/schedule, any tips, and personally opinions are greatly appreciated. I hope you can help me out. Thank you sir and have a great day.

Answer
Colt,

Greetings and that is so awsome you are going to serve our country. You are so inspiring and gung ho, good for you. Ok some thoughts: First of all keep doing the activities you will be doing in boot camp as nothing will get you more ready that "specificity training" which is to do exactly whatever it is you want to get better at. Also, I don't know how often you are engaging in these activities however don't do push-ups and sit-ups 2 days in a row. You need 48 hours or so for your muscles to heal, if you do these activities 2 days in a row you actually are robbing your self as your performance will be hindered. No matter how much it kills you make sure your muscles get the rest they need as they actually grow at night when you are sleeping from the workout they had in the day time. The other reason for not training 2 days in a row is that you don't want any overuse injuries, this will greatly hinder your training by setting you back. Colt try to do some hill running maybe once or twice a week when you go for a run as this will not only strengthen your legs but also shock you body into accelerated performance as our bodies grow accustomed to doing the same thing, at the same weight for the same reps etc. Throw a "shocker" into your workout and you should see some results. Also, even if it is not part of the fitness test, do some back work as well (pull-ups, pull downs, rows etc.) in case you have to do these as well and so you are well rounded and don't get any injuries from a muscle imbalance. Lastly make sure you eat a well balanced diet if you are not currently. Get 1.5-1.7 grams of protein for per kilogram of body weight and eat 1-2 grams of carbohydrates per kilogram of body weight 2-3 hours before working out. Because you are working out at such a high intensity it is paramount that you are adequately hydrated, if your workouts exceed 2 hours consider Gatorade or some other sports drink.
Colt I sincerely hope this information has been beneficial to you and God Bless you and our armed forces personnel.

Greg

Weightlifting & Exercise

Greg Hoppe