Weightlifting & Exercise/Don't want to get bigger

Hi Chad,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Im a 26 year old female, 5'5 112 pounds. Im naturally lean with a very small upper body, more pear shaped. Although Im thin I have never worked out that much and would now like to tone up.

My problem is, whenever I start to work out (elliptical, squats, lunges) my legs get larger but don't look any more toned. I've had people tell me that it's not possible for girls to get bulky but I know for a fact that my legs/thighs get bigger whenever I start working out.

I want to tone up without increasing the overall size of my legs, how can I do this? Both of my parents have musuclar legs and I already have large calves..am I destined to put on lots of muscle there? Since you are an expert on how to bulk up I figure you might know what not to do.

I always stop working out because Im not happy with the way I look.

Help please!

I would really appreciate it,

To tone up without increasing the overall size of the leg, try increasing the repetitions of each individual exercise. Higher reps with less weight, will help you achieve a more desirable result.

Try doing mainly body weight squats as your main leg exercise.

Good luck!

Weightlifting & Exercise

Chad O - Muscle Building Expert

If you need help gaining weight, and putting muscle onto your frame, I can help. Be sure to give me details to your question. The more I know about you, the better I can answer your questions.

I am a personal trainer, a website owner, an expert article writer, a natural bodybuilder, and a weight lifting enthusiast with over 15 years of experience.

My personal website: How To gain Weight

I am a Personal Trainer. I have also received a ton of information from various bodybuilders in the past. I've gained a lot of insight and have applied tips into my own workout regimens and have taught many clients.