Weightlifting & Exercise/Shoulder pain during chest exercises

Hey Jerry,

There is not a chest exercises that I can do that does not result in a strong tension, and somewhat painful, feeling in my shoulders. I am almost certain it is my rotator cuff. The feeling is the area where my chest and shoulder meets. It is frustrating because I do not feel as if I am working out my chest at all but instead just enduring shoulder pain for the entire duration of my chest workout. Is there anything I can do? Are there exercises that are better than others. I am relatively young, 23, so I don't feel the pain can be contributed to old age. Thank you Jerry.

Hi Ben,

If every chest exercise is hurting you then you are either doing them with incorrect form or you have some sort of medical problem and should see a physician. It could very well be a rotator cuff injury but only a physician can tell you for sure.

First check with your doctor to make sure that there is no medical problem. If there is see what is needed to fix it. If not then have someone critique your form and execution of the exercises.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http;//