Weightlifting & Exercise/How to increase/boost my weight loss

Hello. I am looking for some advice/suggestions to boost my weight loss. I have already made changes to my activity level and food intake. I will list those changes below. Also, I am a 30 year old male if that helps.

Exercise: I do strength training 3 days a week (resistance bands, lifting weights, push-ups, sit-ups, squats, etc.). I also do cardio 5-6 days a week (walk a mile in the morning and play basketball later in the day).

Diet: I am limiting my calorie intake to 1,500 a day. I have cut out soda, fast food, etc.

Also, it was recommended by a "fitness expert" that I drink 16 oz. of water before each meal. The claim was that this will help me to eat less, increase metabolism, and influence my body to hold less water weight. Is there any truth to this?

With all that said, is there anything you would recommend or suggest to help me further boost my weight loss?

Thank you.

I have also sent this question to another expert to get as much info as possible.

Hi Lee,

Great to hear that you're proactively taking steps to reduce your weight and get in shape.  I do agree to drink plenty of water at each meal.  Water not only helps with digestion, but it will help you eat less by making you feel more full.  If you're active, about 1 gallon of water a day is a good goal to shoot for.  It may sound like a lot, but many people don't drink as much as they should.  It sounds like you're off to a good start.

At this point, I think it's best to monitor your own weight loss for a 8 week period, and chart yourself.  Are you reducing "x" pounds per week?  Pick a good plan (as it sounds like you have), and see it out for 8 weeks before you start making changes.  This helps to allow yourself to see what may or may not be working currently.  

One important point is that if you are loosing bodyfat while strength training, it is possible to be gaining muscle during this time period.  Because of this shift, the scale may not always tell the entire story.  Therefore, while a scale is a good indication of fat loss, the best is the mirror - it never lies.

Weightlifting & Exercise

The following types of questions are fine: overall benefits of exercise, bodyfat reduction / weight loss, interests, training for specific bodyparts, order of exercises and reps/sets, routine suggestions, general questions. The following types of questions I will NOT answer: questions about physical therapy training post-injury, questions about training after medical treatment.

Personal Trainer for people of all age groups

B.S. in Exercise Science / Kinesiology

I have worked with and trained clients of many ages, both teenagers, college students, and adults. Many are just starting out, while others are looking to get in the best shape of their life. I've often seen that it's the one-two combo of exercise and diet which really makes an impact in seeing overall results. Every client needs to make a commitment to the lifestyle in order to see real results.