Weightlifting & Exercise/Log bench press

Do you know if anyone has created instructions for building a bench press out of a log? I'd like to get a log that weighs about 150lbs for starters, but am concerned about it being symetrical and not having internal pest problems.

Hi James,

I have not heard of anyone doing that specifically, however I have seen and used plenty of "improvised" workout equipment, including buckets, concrete blocks, iron pipes, trailer axles and a whole lot of other stuff. Tree branches were one of my favorite things to hang from in the woods, but I did not use them for bench presses. There is a company that makes a special tool to make log furniture, not sure if it would work to make a bench press or not. If you just go out in the woods and grab a log, then you are probably going to have internal pests, but you can buy quality and often guaranteed pest free logs from a reputable lumber mill. Look for places that sell rough-cut lumber, we have one not far from the house here in Georgia.

I will check around here and see if I can find anyone doing anything with bench press and logs, but right off hand I don't know of anyone.

Have a great day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at askme.com until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http://www.bmgfitness.com http;//www.healthandfitnessebookclub.com