Weightlifting & Exercise/Getting Buff

Question
Hello,

I have a question regarding positively changing my physique.

As a skinny-framed 20-year-old male, 6 foot 2, weighing 165-ish, I would like to bulk up. I l lift weights every other day (reducing my reps to 6-8, with 3 sets, for both my upward presses and a wide-gripping pull-downs); additionally run 3 miles 4 times a week (more or less).

What should I eat or do to get bigger?

Thanks.

Answer
Hello Matt

To bulk up, ie. mass building, it works like this; you lift, you lift heavy - and then you REST. The mas comes when you rest your muscles. Not when you are lifting. If you lift ever other day, then you are not giving your muscles enough rest. Lift every 3rd or 4th day. As you get older, increase the rest to where you lift every 5th or 6th day. If you feel stiffness or pain, you need to increase your rest. This also applies to running. If you are in pain the 2nd day after running, you need more rest. Running will keep the body fat down. But it also needs rest too.

The best mass builder is to use a power rack and do shoulder presses.
Next is deadlifts.

Thanks for the question. Hope this helps.

Weightlifting & Exercise

David Dickeson, A.S.