Weightlifting & Exercise/Training

Question
I do barbell shoulder presses with a wide grip , any advantages if I do close grip?

Answer
Hi Zach,

Thank you for the question. This question is actually a good one and very short in nature. It depends by what you mean by advantage because doing a close grip shoulder press activates more of the triceps muscle fibers, which is fine if that is what you are shooting for. However since you are doing a "shoulder press" I am assuming you want to work more of the deltoid muscles. If this is true then go with a wider grip by all means. Oh, and by the way, be sure to do the shoulder press in front of your face and bring the bar down to your chest, not behind the head as this will set you up for shoulder problems and that would wreck havoc on your workout.
If you have any further questions please keep them coming and good luck with your workouts!

Greg

Weightlifting & Exercise

Greg Hoppe