Weightlifting & Exercise/wieght lifting

Question
hi, I'm getting kind of worried about me stunting my growth while lifting. my mom says i should slow down a little bit. well I'm 13 years old and i weigh 130 lbs. i only do curls of 35 lbs and do push ups because bench press hurts my back and my family has a line of back problems.

Answer
Tommy,
There is no real risk of stunting your growth when lifting a moderate weight. You need to remember that big gains in muscle comes as your body matures and you have more testosterone in your system. The signal for that happening is when you have body hair.

So, in the meantime you can lift but don't get too nuts. Your mom is right. Use this time for training, but don't try to go really heavy. Start now with discipline. Eating right is the first step to a healthy body. Eat fresh vegetables, lean meats and fish. Stay clear of bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar. Fruit once or twice a day, and be moderate on the dairy intake (like don't do heavy cheese. milk, yogurt ok but not huge portions). Then the healthy fat like nuts, olives, avocados, olive oil, coconut oil. Then always water.

You are well on your way young man! Proud of you!
Be Well!
Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan