Weightlifting & Exercise/achalasia / diet

I am 27 and was diagnosed with achalasia about 4 months ago. If you aren't aware, it is an esophageal motility disorder where I basically can't swallow foods or liquids, or have a very difficult time doing so. I am an avid body builder, and have gone from a 5'9 185 pound muscular frame to 155 pounds with a lot of muscle loss. I am getting surgery in 6 days which should help to restore my ability to eat normally. However, I will not be aloud to lift anything over 15 pounds for about 6 weeks.

After the first few days, I will be aloud a liquid and soft food diet for about 3-4 weeks, at which point I will be able to drink a lot of ensures and protein drinks, pending any heartburn or pain associated with them. I am very concerned with losing more muscle mass, so here are my questions…..

- With the way that my body has been on such a calorie deficit (My legs legitimately are the size of boy's ski poles…) will I put back on some muscle without being able to work out just due to the fact that I will be getting in way more calories (I'm taking in next to no protein daily currently)? What foods should I stick too, and should I be eating every and anything that I can? Do I risk a situation where my body would conceive this sudden splurge of calories as an opportunity to store it all as fat? Finally, is there anything else I can do or supplement with to preserve or possibly restore some of the muscle I have lost while I go on this 6 week recovery? Could muscle stimulators be a possibility?

Sorry for the long post, I have had a hell of a year, and hopefully I will be back to, or damn near close to normal soon. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Evan,

I wish you a speedy recovery. To keep things short and sweet, you shouldn't be too worried. Two words will always be there for you, muscle memory. When you lose weight and won't train for a while, yes you will look skinny but eventually when you will start training again 6 months or 9 months later your body will put on the muscle quicker than that of a beginner. The reason being is muscle memory. You can google some articles if you wish. Try not too consume too many calories as you eon't be training or doing much physical work. There are many applications and websites that can tell you your BMR (how many calories your body will burn doing nothing). Try not to go over that number too much but keep the healthy fats in your body for the recovery.

I hope this helps

Check out www.facebook.com/muzzafitness and you can ask me questions there as and when you wish.

Muzza Fitness

Weightlifting & Exercise

Muzza Fitness

I can answer questions related to fitness, weight lifting, bodybuilding, strength training, workout plans, nutrition, weight loss, dieting, fitness nutrition and any general fitness related questions.

I am a fully certified ISSA trainer and have worked in one of Central Europe's biggest gyms. In 2014 I will be an IFFB certified bodybuilder trainer.

ISSA certified personal trainer. Certified in nutrition. Junior Sports Leadership award.

I have had many clients who had diferent fitness goals and I helped them achieve those goals.