Weightlifting & Exercise/Calories Burned and Planks

Question
Hi, Jerry,
First question: If I run up a flight of stairs 6 times back to back versus running up that same flight of stairs once every hour for six hours, will the # of calories I've spent running up stairs be the same?

Secondly, I enjoy doing planks but why do I seem to feel a bit of pain in my lower back each time I do one?

Thanks so much!

Answer
Hi Larry,

Overall I would say that you probably burn about the same amount of calories whether you do the reps all with 1 hour gaps or all at once. I have seen quite a few studies that never do really give a clear reason or explanation on this subject. Assuming everything is exactly the same every hour for 6 hours then the calories burned will be very close.

Normally if the "Plank" is done correctly there is little to no pain in the back, however if ther is an underlying injury or if the plank is not done with good form then ther can be pain. Here is a video showing how to do the plank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0oFaVGuh4 If you are sure that your technique is "perfect" then I would have this pain checked out by a physician, preferably one that specializes in Sports Meidcine.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Jerry  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin