Weightlifting & Exercise/Exercise and health

I am 65 year old male, married, one child. No smoke, no drink. I got really sick a year ago. 7 months in bed. No exercise. Then I joined a gym. First time; once for 15 minutes. Exhausted. Second week; two times. 15 minutes each. Had to hold onto the machines just to walk from a, to b. Now I am going twice a week, 1 hour each time. Increased my lifts from 10 lbs, to now; 30 lbs. Slow reps. But a few more reps each time. Some pain when I went home. But no pain afterwards; especially the next day. Which is a good thing. But I do not understand HOW exercising makes the body healthier. I hold less onto the machines when I walk. I feel better. Look better. Confused as to how exercising changes the body. Any thoughts?

Hi Dave,

The body is a marvelous creation that actually responds to small bouts of exercise which actualy cause microtears and slight damage to the muscles. The body is programmed that whe it is hurt it will try to heal itself. When it heals itself from bouts of exercise it actaully increases its strength so that the next time the same amount of exercise will not cause as much damage. You will find that even 80 and 90 year old nursing home patients respond to resistance exercise and become stronger.

Basically the exercise causes a small amount of muscle damage that the body heals. When the body heals the "damage" done by exercise it increases the strength of the muscle, when the muscle is made stronger the body is more healthy and stronger. While muscle is actually built during rest, the exercise is needed to cause the damage so the body can heal it stronger.

I hope that all makes sense.

Hope this helps

Have agreat day

Weightlifting & Exercise

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at askme.com until they closed down

I have worked in health and or fitness related capacities for over 30 years. My main profession is that of a Medical Technologist, but I also have training as a Corpsman with the US Navy, a Field Medic with the Army National Guard,and am certified as A Personal Trainer, Medical Exer-therapist and Aerobics Instructor through the National Academy for Health and Fitness. My wife and I have operated BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition in Moultrie Georgia since 1995. I also have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics. I am an avid bicycle rider, mostly road riding with the occasional mountain trail or off road "experience". My wife and I usually do a charity ride at least once per year to help those less fortunate. Degrees & Certifications: Certifications include Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS/NCA. Clinical Laboratory Technologist CLT/HHS Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, and Medical Exer-therapist NAHF. Advance Weight Training through NAHF. Accepted as AFTA Associate Awards include the Ohio State Award of Merit and Ohio Special Services Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal and 2 Army Achievement Medals CPR re-Certifcation 2007 Web page: http://www.bmgfitness.com http;//www.healthandfitnessebookclub.com