Weightlifting & Exercise/My own workout

Question
QUESTION: Hello Greg. My name is Sean I am 21 and my fitness goals are too build muscle and be athletically fit for sports, specifically for mma and soccer. In other words, I want to gain mass and still be able to move around fast, be versatile, and have great conditioning. Right now, I am at 160 lbs. My goal is to reach anything from 175-185 lbs. I am researching on what kind of workouts I want implement for my regiment. I'm kind of at a loss right now and new some help. So what kind of exercises should I add? What should my diet and supplements consist of?

On another note, I am battling a shoulder injury that I've had for 5 years now. Originally it was nothing more than a stinger, but to this day it's a bit sensitive. I have gotten an MRI done before and the results were negative for any serious injury. I get a sharp pain only when I move my arm behind my heard whenever I want to stretch my shoulders. Other than that it doesn't bother me and it's fine when I lift too. I can however, tell the difference I'm the strength of one shoulder to the other. What can I do to improve the strength in my shoulder.

ANSWER: Hi Sean,
I am actually out of town do to a death in the family and away from my computers. I will email you back the answers to your questions next weekend. Sorry for the delay and thank you for your understanding.

Greg

QUESTION: *sorry to hear that Greg. Take your time. Here is just an edited version of my question. Hope to hear from you soon. Praying everything goes well for you.

Hello. My name is Sean I am 21 and my fitness goals are too build muscle and be athletically fit for sports, specifically for mma and soccer. In other words, I want to gain mass and still be able to move around fast, be versatile, and have great conditioning. Right now, I am at 160 lbs. My goal is to reach anything from 175-185 lbs. I am researching on what kind of workouts I want implement for my regiment. I'm kind of at a loss right now and new some help. So what kind of exercises should I add? What should my diet and supplements consist of? How should I take it? I'm an experienced lifter/trainee/athlete for 6-7 years now, but I'm looking to turn it up a notch this year and be at my ultimate best.

On another note, I am battling a shoulder injury that I've had for 5 years now. Originally it was nothing more than a stinger, but to this day it's a bit sensitive. I have gotten an MRI done before and the results were negative for any serious injury. I get a sharp pain only when I move my arm behind my heard whenever I want to stretch my shoulders. Other than that it doesn't bother me and it's fine when I lift too. I can however, tell the difference I'm the strength of one shoulder to the other. What can I do to improve the strength in my shoulder?

Answer
Sean,

Thank you for your kind words and understanding. I got home last week and got hit with the flu and so I have been down and out for a week so, I am so sorry for getting back to you late but you have been on my mind as I hate to keep people hanging. Sean I can totally relate to yout shoulder injury as I tore something in my shoulder years ago warming-up with close bench presses, with a light weight and it took 2 years to work it out and I still have to be careful as it makes it self known periodically and I have to be very careful. So soccer and MMA, 2 of the most grueling activities I can think of, good for you. I don't know what type of build you have but if you want to put on 15-25 lbs. of muscle, you got your work cut out for you. So the hard part is that your 2 sports require a ton of cardio-conditioning, now the difficulty with that is that to put on that much muscle you effectively need to limit your cardiovascular workout as not only do you burn fat and carbohydrates, but protein as well as some muscle when working out at the intensity level. You are definitely going to start considering supplements such as taking protein (see one of my previous writings as I provided someone with information regarding the different types of protein you can take) and eating a really good diet. Egg whites and chicken come immediately to mind but you may also want to speak to a sports nutritionist who can put you on a plan as well. Lots of people swear by Creatine, and it makes huge strength and size gains, but has been know to lead to kidney and liver damage when  over-done so do your research prior to jumping in right away.
As far as gaining mass and weight-lifting, work out with 80%-85% of your one rep maximum or thereabouts for each exercise. Or find a weight you can lift 6-8 times but are totally sapped and can not lift anymore after that set. Do this 2-3 times a week, for 5-6 sets, no more as you will be really pushing your limits here and your body will definitely need to recover. Be very careful with that shoulder, if you feel even the slightest tinge, stop immediately. Before jumping into this program, ease into it gently the first week. Start by going a bit more heavy than usual and let your body adapt. Then after this warm-up week start the program I recommend. Now for your versatility and quickness training, do your MMA and soccer drills on your non-lifting days. Be sure to stretch after your workouts, especially after your very heavy lifting ones, because you will be building up tons of lactic acid and need to filter this out of the muscles to the kidneys, that's why you do a cool down after working out. It's all part of the recovery.
Sean I sincerely hope you find this information useful, if I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Greg

Weightlifting & Exercise

Greg Hoppe