Weightlifting & Exercise/Weight training for women

I am interested in knowing where to get resources for a comprehensive weight training program to be incorporated into my cardio sessions.

My purpose is to build strength and lean muscles as I realise I need to have some strength training in my fitness routine; I have just started by watching Youtube videos for some basic techniques.

I am worried I might leave out some muscles untrained, resulting in unbalanced muscle strength which may cause injuries instead.

Can you advise?

Additionally, can I use resistance band instead of free weights?

The details of myself are listed below:

Age: 28
Height: 158cm
Weight: 57kg
Goal: To lose 5-7 kg in the next 6 months and to learn proper weight training techniques to build lean muscles.
Fitness routine: Am following Teambeachbody program (Les Mills Combat) at the moment (workout for 5 days following the calendar provided) and also incorporating 10-15 minutes of resistance training 2 times per week after the program. I have previously finished Insanity before this program.

ANSWER: Angeline,

Great job on doing those body boot camp and Les Mills workouts, I know those are quite taxing on the body and will get you in shape quick if you stick with it. That is equally great you want to do resistence training as this is very important especially for women as you want to off-set the possibility of getting osteoporosis later in life. I am guessing you are not a beginner as you mentioned "muscle imbalance" and this is not a word neophytes throw around. So I don't know what you have access to as far a gym is concerned, but I would say don't waste your time with exercise bands. Stick with free weights and machine weights, these will provide the resistence needed to put on the muscle and develop strength that you mentioned. Included here are body-weight exercises as well such as push-ups, pull-ups, dips etc. Thats is great you have watched youtube videos as they are good in helping you be able to witness the correct for when working out to get optimal effect and decrease the chance of injury. There are many places to get programs online such as the websites of fitess magazines, and you tube. You are wise with being careful of muscle-imbalances, the best advice when in doubt, work the muscle that does the opposite action. If you are doing bicep curls, make sure you do tricep push-downs or trice-extensions. If you do bench-press and fly's, do lat-pulldowns and back-rows. Be sure not to tain the same muscles two days in a row. I personally like to do a complete weight workout all at once, then maybe do cardio the next day and then the following day do all body weight traing again. But you can do shoulders, chest and triceps one day, then the next day do back, biceps and legs if you have the time to go to the gym each day or so. If you write me back with what type of schedule or the amount of time you can commit to training, as well as the types of equipment you have access to, I can better advise. I hope that helps get you going and don't forget to inform me what you have to work with.

Thank you for your quick reply.

For myself, I am committed to at least 2 sessions of weight training after my cardio routines (about 5 times per week now with 2 sessions of HIIT sessions as part of the training calendar( as I would like to quickly achieve my goals, which is to lose 5-7 kg and to reduce my current fat % from 25% to 20% in the next 6-8 months.

I do not have a gym near me so I am intending to follow a 2x sessions of weight training routine  (for upper and lower body) with free weights.

Well, I did not do much research on the muscles to work on with regards to muscle imbalances; I happen to come across the term in a running magazine and read that people can over-train some muscles and hurt themselves.

I also am worried myself becoming aesthetically unappealing if I overtrain myself in one area; one concern is that in the previous Insanity workout program, I did a lot of push-ups.  I am worried that I might looked 'off' and it is going to look obvious as my body fat % is reducing.

Would you be able to advise a resource page where it is easy to understand for a newbie like me to weight training on the exercises to do (Working the muscles and also in opposite direction).

Thank you and I look forward to your reply again.

When they talk about injury's from a muscle imbalance, they mean the following. When you walk you use your quadriceps (thigh muscles# and your hamstrings #back of upper leg. If you do exercises that just  target the quads (such as leg-extensions# and neglect working the hamstrings, your quadriceps will out work the hamstrings because they will be too weak to do their part in walking. This will usually cause a pulled hamstring, which is painful and can be debilitating. So make sure you do a leg exercise which works the leg completely #such as leg-presses done deeply, lunges and squats). Same goes for when you work your chest muscles, be sure to work your back muscles as when pull muscles are working the opposing muscles act as stabilizers, and vice versa.
As far as getting huge and bulky, you should be so lucky. Men with all our stabilizers and lifting heavy weights, dont get huge all that easy. It takes lots of hard work, diet and lifting insane amounts of weight. You will see resulst quickly but you will not turn into the incredible hulk lifting some dumbells. Even if you were a freak of nature and put on more muscle then you wanted, it would be easy to take it off. Just lift lighter weight and do higher reps a couple time s a week and you would lose any bulkiness.
Angeline there are soooo many websites online yoou could use for instruction, here is one I found you can copy and paste into your browser:
Good luck with everything. Lastly could you please rate my correspondence with you on my rating scale? If you found this beneficial perhaps there are others I can help also.

Take care,

Weightlifting & Exercise

Greg Hoppe

I can answer questions on proper exercise technique, starting as well as growing in attaining your fitness goals and questions regrading how the human body works from an exercise physiology standpoint. I can assist with any questions regarding anatomy & physiology, stretching and rehabilitation. I am also extremely well versed and experienced in martial arts, self-defense and massage therapy.

I have a B.S in Physical Education and a Black Belt in an eclectic martial art. I am also a certified Fitness Therapist through ISSA and a massage therapist. I can assist with questions regarding hiring a health and wellness professional as well as growing and succeeding in the field for those already working in it.

ISSA, Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals

B.S. in Physical education, Black Belt, ISSA certfified Fitness Therapist.