Weightlifting & Exercise/supplements

Question
im 43 and have gotten smaller as I get older.i don't want to use steroids to gain size and strength, but I don't know which supplements to use, as there are so many out ther, and most of them are junk 1i would like o testosterone booster along with creatine and protein?what do u recommend?

Answer
Hi Noah,

All of the following is presuming you have no underlying health issues which could be causing loss of muscle.

As simple as it sounds, you have "gotten smaller" because your testosterone and physiology are changing. That having been said, gaining size and strength are two different things as exercises most conducive to a hypertropic response (growth) isolation type exercises are completely different than those most conducive to strength (compound joint movements)

My first thought would be to ask if you've changed your diet or workout lately and would/could that  be the cause of loss of muscle?

The basics of growth or strength are the same regardless of decade although amounts necessary may change due to changing physiologies. Prior to adding anything (with the exception of protein powder if you aren't getting 1.2-1.8g per kilo from food), ask  yourself the following:

1. Proper Caloric Intake - are you eating enough and appropriate macro nutrient break downs for your goal (size/strength) PRIOR to adding any supplements

2. Effective training - are you training too much or too little and are you doing effective exercises for your goal.  I often see people over training (too much for their fitness level or wasting time with ineffective exercises which leads to the exact opposite of their desired result

All of that having been said, to actually answer your questions

CREATINE:  Benefits from creatine  really depend on the frequency, duration and intensity of your training sessions  (insert long, convoluted explanation of creatine's role in muscle contractions here)

Personally I've not seen any compelling research pointing to increase in muscle size. I know people who have seen strength gains with it and others who saw no gains. Whether the gains were because of the mental boost the creatine provided, I have no idea.

PROTEIN: Depending upon body composition and training plan, 1.2-1.8 grams  per 2.2 lbs you weigh is essential to maximize your gains from the time you put in at the gym

TESTOSTERONE BOOSTERS: IMO, those you will find at the GNC or online are pretty worthless and can throw off your body chemistry creating more problems than they solve. Your physician can do blood tests to determine your overall testosterone level and where it falls in a healthy range. If it's low, many will prescribe a testosterone booster. (not to be confused with "steroids" bought from the guy at the gym.  That having been said, there is a lot of research coming out regarding heart and other problems arising from these drugs.

Hope this helps and feel free to email with any follow up questions  

Weightlifting & Exercise

Dianne Villano