Weightlifting & Exercise/Training for Navy SEALS

Question

I’d like to train for the Navy SEALS and I was hoping you could help me. Is this a reasonable exercise plan, or are there any changes you could suggest? I’m currently 24, 225lbs, 6’8”, in moderate physical shape, and I normally work out around 2 hours each day. My goal is to be successful at BUD/S, and the weightlifting is only there to help me improve my overall strength. There should be a focus on improving the calisthenics, running, and swimming, not necessarily lifting strength.

Monday
1. Run 4-5 miles at a “talking pace”
2. Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, lunges, calf raises, low back exercises

Tuesday
1. Swim 100 yard speed intervals, up to 10 sets
2. Full body weight lifting, 3 sets of 10 (one exercise for every muscle group)

Wednesday
1. Run 3 miles at a strong pace

Thursday
1. Swim 1.5 miles at a “talking pace”
2. Full body weight lifting 3 sets of 10 (one exercise for every muscle group)

Friday
1. Run .25 mile speed intervals, up to 10 sets

Saturday
1. Swim 1 mile at a strong pace
2. Full body weight lifting (heavy weights) 4 sets of 5-8 (one exercise for every muscle group)

Note: Talking pace means I could talk in short sentences while doing the exercise.

Thanks!

Answer
Rob,
It would be presumptuous of me to say I know what you need to do for prep for training in Coronado. I can look at this list and think its good, but i don't know what you will be tested on. I know you need to get used to COLD water because the water off Coronado is COLD. I suggest you speak with your recruiter and find out what the skill set they test on. When my son went into the Air Force they outlined what he needed for Basic and he worked on that stuff. By the time Basic training is over you will be conditioned pretty well. Don't worry....conditioning continues once you start A school.....and on to Seal training.   Best of luck to you. Thank you for your service.
Karen

Weightlifting & Exercise

Karen Fili Sullivan