Weightlifting & Exercise/56

Question
QUESTION: hi david: i am 56. can i build muscle at 56. Any suggestions? thank you

ANSWER: Definitely.
Do you have access to a power rack or a smith machine?
Do this;
Once a week, set the weight bar about 1" below your shoulder height.
Put a pad on the bar, or a towel.
Lift and HOLD the bar and some plates that are not too heavy, for 1 minute.
I use a timer to keep track of the 1 minute.
Keep your elbows slightly bent, your back slightly bent, and your knees slightly bent.
This makes the muscles hold the weight, not your bones.
Add 1 pound of weight per week to the lift. I use fractional plates. They are sold on the internet.

No equipment?
Do this;
Use a couple of 5 gallon pails and put equal amounts of water in each pail. Mark the outside where the water line is at.
Lift and hold the pails up for 1 minute. Keep the joints slightly bent.
Do once a week, add a bit more water to the pails every time you lift.

Either the power rack or the pails; the resting after the lifting is when you put on the mass. This exercise, when it get's heavier, will be so intense, you need a week to fully recover.
Really puts on the mass.

I am 61. I am at 240 pounds. But only 12% fat. The rest is muscle and bone mass. Even your bones get denser. I am big and muscular. I go to a gym with guys that are 60-70-80-90 and they are big, and strong. Older does make the body weaker, but older for them is a much lower level of weaker, many times stronger than even guys who are in their 20's and 30's.

Yes, you can build muscles at 56. And KEEP your muscles long into old age.

QUESTION: thanks for the inspiring answer ,how do I lift the pails ? out I'm front off me or to the sides? do I try and lift as high as I can. thanks

Answer
The pails are on both sides of you.
Squat down, pick up the pails evenly.
Keep your knees slightly bent.
Keep your elbows slightly bent.
Keep your spine slightly bent.
By doing this, your muscles hold the weight, not your bones.
The pails should be below your belt line.

Weightlifting & Exercise

David Dickeson, A.S.